Are you encountering a bombardment of Active Discount ads? Do you try to find out the cause of this problem? Have no ideas how to fix this problem? In fact, Active Discount is the cause of those annoying ads on your PC. If you want to stop these ads from popping up anymore, you have to thoroughly remove Active Discount from your computer. Please read more and you will know how to perform the removal.
What Is Active Discount?
Active Discount is classified as adware or potentially unwanted program that is responsible for promoting various commercial advertisements. Some users may download this adware from its official website since they think it is a useful application; however, there are also many users get this adware downloaded and installed on their PCs totally unconsciously. Generally, this adware gets installed on users’ computers as a browser add-on or extension. It can appear on various types of web browsers such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Safari. Then, it will modify your browser settings without any permission and show a variety of commercial advertisements during your web browsing sessions. Those ads shown by this adware are often identified with phrases like “Ads by Active Discount”, “Powered by Active Discount” or “Brought by Active Discount”, and will appear in various forms, such as pop-up ads, pop-under ads, in-text ads, and banner ads. However, some of these ads are unreliable and even potentially dangerous for users to click. When users are attracted by the ads and click on them, they may be redirected to some malicious websites and unwittingly download malware programs on their machines. Besides, this adware could collect users’ personal information without any knowledge. When staying on the infected computers, it may install cookies that can gather information about users’ browsing history and then send what it has collected to its creators in order to analyze users’ browsing habits and thus deliver more personalized ads to them. We advise that users remove Active Discount adware as quickly as possible, as it may bring malware program and compromise privacy.
Note that the manual removal is a task of high complication and risk. Any wrong step may result in serious system damage. To effectively and safely remove Active Discount adware, it is highly recommended that you use a professional malware removal tool, which is a time-saving and low-risk method.
How Does Active Discount Spread?
Active Discount adware is often found embedded in software that appear useful or attractive and can be downloaded from websites for free. In another word, it usually spreads by bundled with free software. When users download and install such software, this adware can be silently installed on their computers. However, less users notice its installation, since this activity often proceeds in the background. Sometimes, this adware may spread via spam emails. Users can get this adware downloaded on their PCs either when they open the unknown email attachments or click on the suspicious links in the email messages. Besides, the adware may be distributed through peer-to-peer or file-sharing applications which allow file sharing between users. When users use peer-to-peer applications, it is difficult for them to verify whether the source of the file is trustworthy, so most of them may get this adware downloaded on their computers. In some cases, this adware slips into users’ computers while they are browsing unsafe websites and accidentally clicking on some pop-up ads or sponsored links. Anyway, it is necessary that users be cautious when surfing online so as to avoid encountering adware and other types of malware.
Signs of Getting Infected by Active Discount Adware
Once the adware gets installed on your computer, it may start performing a series of activities, which generates various problems. Here are some signs showing that your computer has got adware infection:
• Your computer becomes slow when opening programs or processing tasks.
• You receive endless ads and random system error messages on your PC.
• You are redirected to unwanted websites other than the ones you intend to visit.
• Your default homepage and search engine are changed without any consent.
• Many unknown toolbars are installed onto your web browsers.
• Many website URLs are added to your browser bookmark list and Favorite folder.
• New icons appear on your computer desktop and/or in the task tray at the bottom of the screen.
Definition of Adware
Adware is any software package that automatically renders advertisements in order to generate revenue for its author. The advertisements may be in the user interface of the software or on a screen presented to the user during the installation process. The functions may be designed to analyze which Internet sites the user visits and to present advertising pertinent to the types of goods or services featured there. The term is sometimes used to refer to software that displays unwanted advertisements (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adware).
How to Identify Adware?
You may want to know whether the software installed on your PC is adware or not. Here are some evaluation criteria for you:
• The software runs unwanted processes or programs on your PC.
• The software prevents you from controlling its actions while running on your PC.
• The software fails to be remove via standard install/uninstall features, such as Add/Remove Programs.
• The software presents confusing or misleading prompts or pop-ups when you attempt to uninstall it.
• The software prevents you from modifying browser features or settings.
• The software downloads other unwanted software on your PC without any consent.
• The software delivers many ads based on your web surfing patterns and offers items which you are more likely to be interested in.
• The software collects, uses, or communicates your information without your explicit consent.
How to Remove Active Discount Adware Thoroughly?
Active Discount adware can not only interfere with your online activities by produces lots of annoying ads on your computer, but also compromise your privacy by collecting your personal information and delivering it to its creators without your knowledge. Therefore, it is important that you remove this nasty adware as quickly as possible. In the following, we are going to introduce several methods for ridding your computer of this adware.
▼ Method 1: Automatically Remove Active Discount Adware by Using SpyHunter.
▼ Method 2: Manually Remove Active Discount Adware by Taking These Steps.
▼ Method 3: Automatically Remove Active Discount Adware by Using Malwarebytes.
Method 1: Automatically Remove Active Discount Adware by Using SpyHunter.
SpyHunter is a powerful, real-time anti-malware program developed by Enigma Software Group USA, LLC and designed to assist the average computer user in protecting their PC from malicious threats. SpyHunter is automatically configured to give you optimal protection with limited interaction, so all you need to do is install it for immediate and ongoing protection.
Features of SpyHunter:
• It has user-friendly interface which is very easy for novice users to handle.
• It provides real-time and powerful anti-malware protection.
• It blocks, detects and removes various types of malware.
• It offers one-on-one customer support to help handle stubborn threats.
• It offers latest malware definition updates to ensure complete protection from the latest malware.
• It offers exclusion feature which allows you to exclude certain programs from being detected in future scans.
Now you can follow the steps below to automatically remove Active Discount adware by using SpyHunter:
Step 1: Download SpyHunter-Installer.exe on your PC.
Step 2: Once the file is downloaded, double-click the icon to run it.
Step 3: SpyHunter downloader will start downloading SpyHunter installer.
Step 4: Then, you will be prompted to select the language and accept the License Agreement.
Step 5: Follow the step-by-step setup wizard until you finish the installation of SpyHunter.
Step 6: SpyHunter will start initializing files and this may take a few minutes.
Step 7: SpyHunter will automatically download the updated version from its official website. Let it go and do not click the “Cancel” button.
Step 8: Launch SpyHunter and perform a malware scan by clicking on “Start New Scan” under the “Malware Scan” tab
Step 9: Now SpyHunter will begin to scan your computer system. The scanning process will take some time and you need to be patient.
Step 10: Once the scanning is done, Spyhunter will show the threats detected in a list. To remove all those threats, please click the “Fix Threats” button.
Step 11: Upon the removal, SpyHunter may require to reboot your PC. Just allow it to to do so.
Method 2: Manually Remove Active Discount Adware by Taking These Steps.
Step 1: Delete all Temporary Files.
Close all open browser windows including email clients.
Press the Windows key + R key together.
Type %temp% into the box and click OK.
Select all files and click Shift + Del key.
Step 2: Delete all Temporary Internet Files.
You can try following the paths below to delete the Temporary Internet Files from your PC:
Windows XP: C:Documents and Settings Local SettingsTemporary Internet Files
Windows Vista/7: C:Users AppDataLocalMicrosoftWindowsTemporary Internet Files
Windows 8: C:Users AppDataLocalMicrosoftWindowsINetCache
Step 3: Remove Active Discount adware via Windows uninstall utility.
Click “Start” > “Control Panel” > “Add/Remove Programs”.
Look for any suspicious program in the list of your installed programs and click “Remove” to remove it.
Click “Start” > “Control Panel” > “Uninstall a program”/“Programs and Features”.
Look for any suspicious program in the list of your installed programs and click “Uninstall” to remove it.
Click “Start” > “Control Panel” > “Uninstall a program”/“Programs and Features”.
Look for any program related to the adware in the list of programs installed, and click “Uninstall” to remove it.
Step 4: Remove Active Discount adware related extensions from the affected browsers.
Click “Tools” and select “Manage add-ons”.
Click “Toolbars and Extensions” on the left.
Look for any add-on related to the adware on the right of the window.
Select the item and click “Disable” button.
Click on the 3-bar icon in the right top corner of Firefox window.
Select “Add-ons” and click “Extensions” on the left side of the Add-on Manager window.
Look for any adware related extension and remove/disable it.
Click on the Wrench icon or 3-bar icon in the top-right corner of the browser.
Select “Settings” and click on “Extensions” on the left side of the pop-up window.
Find out any extension related to Active Discount adware on the right side, and then remove it by clicking on the trashcan icon.
Click on “Safari” at the top of the Safari browser and select “Preferences” from the dropdown list.
Click “Extensions” and check whether there is any adware related extension.
If you find one, please remove it immediately by clicking on the “Uninstall” button.
If you have finished the steps above, but still cannot completely remove the adware from your computer, then you can proceed to the step 5.
But please note that the step 5 is rather risky and it needs users to have sufficient experience in dealing with files and registry entries. If you are a novice user, it is highly recommended that you download and use a professional malware removal tool to automatically clean up all components of Active Discount adware from your PC.
Step 5: Delete all files and registry entries related to Active Discount adware.
To delete the adware associated files:
Navigate to the Local Disk C, type the adware name into the search box and press Enter.
If you find any files with the adware name, delete them completely.
If not, then you can use your file explorer and browse to each folder listed in the following:
If you find any suspicious files in the above folders, then you can delete them from your computer.
To delete the adware associated registry entries:
Press Windows key + R key simultaneously.
In the Run box, type “regedit” and press Enter.
The Registry Editor will open. Then, you need to find out and remove the adware related registry entries as following:
Method 3: Automatically Remove Active Discount Adware by Using Malwarebytes.
Malwarebytes is a reputable anti-malware program designed to remove threats found on your PC and also protect your computer system from being attacked by malware from the online world. It has the following features:
• Malicious website blocking
• Real-time protection
• Heuristic detection
• Integrated Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit
• Hyper Scan mode
• Scan/Database update scheduler
• Integrated Malwarebytes Chameleon
• Advanced malware removal
• Antivirus compatibility
To get rid of Active Discount adware easily and effectively, you can install this anti-malware program on your PC and have it removed all traces of the adware thoroughly. Please accomplish these steps:
Step 1: Download Malwarebytes by clicking on the button below.
Step 2: Install the program on your PC by following the on-screen instruction.
Step 3: Once the installation is done, please run Malwarebytes on your PC and do a full system scan to detect any threat on your PC.
Step 4: After the scanning is finished, you will be shown the threat scan result. To remove all those found threats, you can click the “Remove Selected” button.
How to Prevent Malware from Installing on Your PC?
• Keep your operating system and other software up-to-date. Malware can exploit vulnerabilities of your operating system or software installed on your PC to invade your system easily. Updates often contain security patches to block potential holes that malware can exploit.
• Some operating systems have built-in firewalls that may be shipped in the “off” mode. Make sure that you turn your firewall on, especially when you are surfing online. To be effective, your firewall must be set up properly and updated regularly.
• Always use an antivirus program. This is the most important thing to prevent malware. You need to install an antivirus program that has a fairly complete database of malware and that is updateable. New malware are produced daily, so it’s important to have an antivirus program that can detect the latest malware threats.
• Don’t download free software from unreliable sites. There are many websites that offer freeware for users to download. However, such software may contain installer of malware. By downloading the software, you may put your computer at risk of being infected by malware.
• Don’t click on links within pop-up windows. When receiving pop-up windows which prompt you to install update for your video player, media player and web browser (like IE, Firefox, and Chrome), you need to be cautious. Clicking on the “Install” button within the pop-up windows may mean that you are agree to install malware software on your computer.
• Be wary of spam email attachments. Cyber hackers often inject malicious codes of malware into email attachments and send them to the Internet users randomly. So, it is better to avoid opening email attachments from unknown people. Sometimes, even though you receive email attachments from your friends, you still have to be careful, since their emails may have been hacked and would automatically send you the malicious attachments.
• Don’t click links in spam email messages. Those links may take you to websites that try to exploit your browser or plug-ins to get access to your computer, or trick you into executing malicious code by showing you the words like “get this video codec” or “you computer is infected, get antivirus for free”.
• Be careful when using P2P file sharing. Malware could hide within file-sharing programs waiting to be downloaded. So, you need to ensure that you have effective and updated antivirus/antispyware software and firewall running before you start downloading.
It is important that you do not wrongly remove any necessary files and registry entries from your computer, or else you may bring unwanted damage to your computer system. If you think the manual removal is difficult for you to handle, you may wish to consider using a quality malware removal tool to help perform an automatic removal of Active Discount adware from your PC. You can remove the annoying adware only within a few clicks of mouse. Download a malware removal tool and have it to help you out right now!
Attention: The following video offers a complete guide for Active Discount adware removal. You’d better watch in full-screen mode!