Is your browser homepage changed to another without permission? Do you often see Tide Search ads in the search results when you do a search? Do you know what Tide Search is? How can you get rid of it from your PC? Read on and you will learn how to fix the problem.
What is Tide Search?
Tide Search can be considered as a potentially unwanted program. It changes the default homepage and default search engine of most browsers like Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. If this app enters your PC, you may find the default homepage is changed to another one and the search engine is replaced with search.tidesearch.net which redirects you to search.yahoo.com very soon. You can see a browser search button installed by the app that allows you to search using the tidesearch.net site when you click on it.
It also installs add-ons/extensions to the browsers so as to interfere with your browsing activities. When you attempt to search for information by using Google or Yahoo, you will find the search results contain numerous advertisements related to your search queries and the ads are brought by Tide Search. It’s very annoying to see the web pages are injected in sponsored ads that you don’t want.
So how did this unwanted app arrive on your machine? In fact, potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) like the program mentioned in this post usually come bundled with other freeware. When you download a free program from the web and pay no attention to the installation, such PUPs can get the opportunity to be installed on your PC. You may see the screen as shown below if your computer has this app installed.
Is this program dangerous? Frankly speaking, in addition to the modifications on browser settings and injecting advertisements, this program may not cause serious security problems. But it’s not a good experience to see a program enters the PC in deceptive ways. Moreover, both your browser performance and your computer performance might slow down due to such PUPs.
Note: To repair your browser settings and get rid of unwanted advertisements from search results or web pages, we suggest you remove the PUP as soon as possible. The guide below shows you how to delete it manually. Can’t wait to see the bothersome app disappear? Use a powerful tool to remove it now!
Removal instructions for Tide Search:
Step1: Scan your computer with SpyHunter
SpyHunter is a tool that detects and removes malware including Trojans, rootkits, rogue programs, adware, spyware and so on with advanced technology. It can help find and clear all the malicious threats on your PC entirely and quickly. If your computer suffers from annoying pop-up ads caused by adware or other malware problems, we suggest you run SpyHunter to perform a scan of your system and ensure that your machine is free of viruses. With SpyHunter, the annoying adware will be erased within minutes. Follow the steps below to get rid of Tide Search by using the tool.
When SpyHunter has finished downloading, please double-click on the spyhunter-installer.exe icon and start the installation
When the tool is installed, it will automatically run on your PC. Make sure it is up to date and this can help you detect and clear the cyber infections effectively.
To scan the PC, click on Scan Computer now button. SpyHunter will now start to search for adware and other malicious files that may be installed on your computer.
When the scan has completed, a screen showing the threats that SpyHunter has detected will appear in front of you. Below the threats are their brief introductions. To remove the malicious programs found, click on the “Fix Threats” button.
Note: If you haven’t purchased the full version of SpyHunter, a pop-up will ask you to register for the product first when you click on the “Fix Threats” button. Follow the instructions given to complete the registration and upgrade, you will be able to remove the threats completely.
Step2: Uninstall Tide Search from Control Panel
- Click on the Start button in the bottom the taskbar or press the Windows key to open the Start menu.
- Click Settings in the menu.
- Click System on the Settings menu.
- Choose Apps & features from the left pane of the System menu.
- Select the unwanted program and click on Uninstall button.
- Confirm the software removal by clicking on Uninstall.
In Windows 7/Vista, click on the Start button and click on Control Panel. In Windows 8, right click on Start button and select Control Panel from the menu.
Click on Programs and Features or Uninstall a program under Programs depending on your view by: settings.
When all the programs installed on your computer are displayed, find Tide Search and click on Uninstall button.
Note: If you’re prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- Click on Start button and select Control Panel.
- Double click on Add/Remove Programs.
- Highlight the program you want to uninstall and click on Remove button.
Friendly reminder: If the program isn’t listed, you need to check the information that came with the program and locate its uninstaller process. Then uninstall the program manually. If you find it difficult to find its folder, use a professional removal tool to help detect and remove the unwanted program quickly and easily.
Step3: Remove Tide Search add-ons/extensions
Click on Tools or the Gear Icon located on the top right corner (for IE11), and then click Manage Add-ons.
Under Add-on Types, select Toolbars and Extensions.
Under toolbars and extensions, select the adware related add-on and click on Remove button to delete it.
Click the Firefox menu icon “≡” in the top left-hand corner of the browser window and choose “Add-ons” from the menu to open an Add-ons Manager page. Or you can click on “Tools” from the menu bar near the top of the browser window and choose “Add-ons.”
In the Add-ons Manager page, select Extensions on the left side.
Find any unknown or dubious add-on, click on Remove button to uninstall it entirely from Firefox.
Restart Firefox to complete the process.
Click the Chrome menu icon “≡” at the top right of the browser window, choose “More Tools” and choose “Extensions“.
A chrome://extensions/ page will open and all the extensions installed in Chrome will be displayed.
Find the extension related to the adware and click “Remove”(trashcan icon) to delete it completely.
Click on Opera at the top left corner of the browser.
Select Extensions from the drop-down menu and then select Extensions manager.
Find Tide Search and remove it.
Select the Safari dropdown menu and click the Preferences button.
Choose the Extensions tab in the pop-up window.
Find the extension you want to remove, select it and click on Uninstall button.
Note: If you have trouble with removing any browser add-ons/plug-ins, try Max Spyware Detector, a powerful antispyware program that is able to detect, block and remove suspicious or harmful browser plug-ins and websites.
Step4: Reset your browser settings to defaults (Optional)
You can restore your browser settings if Tide Search changed your settings without your knowledge. Browser settings including the default homepage, default search engine, new tab and so on will be restored to the original settings but your saved bookmarks and passwords won’t be cleared or changed.
- Click on Tools, and then select Internet Options from the menu.
- In the Internet options window, go to the Advanced tab and then click on Reset button.
- In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, check the Delete personal settings option and click Reset to confirm.
- When resetting browser settings is completed, please click Close and then click OK.
- Click on Help on the menu bar and then select Troubleshooting Information.
- Click on Refresh Firefox button in the Troubleshooting information page.
- When the Reset Firefox dialog box appears, click on Refresh Firefox button to confirm the changes.
- Click on the Google Chrome menu button in the top-right corner of the browser and select Settings from the menu.
- In the chrome settings page, scroll down to the bottom and click on Show Advanced Settings.
Click on Reset browser settings button at the bottom of the page.
- When the Reset Browser Settings dialog box pops up, click on Reset button. Then SecuriDex will be deleted from Chrome completely.
- Open Opera and type opera://about in the address bar.
- In the About Opera page, go to the Paths section.
Note the Profile and Cache values. In my case, they have following path:
C:\Users\winaero\AppData\Roaming\Opera Software\Opera Stable
C:\Users\winaero\AppData\Local\Opera Software\Opera Stable
- Close Opera and then delete these two folders: Profile and Cache.
- Now run Opera. All its settings will be reverted to their defaults.
- Click on the gear icon in the top right corner and click on the Reset Safari in the drop-down menu.
- When a warning dialog box appears, click on the Reset button to complete the process.
- Safari will restart automatically.
Tips to prevent Tide Search and other PUPs:
Your computer should now be free of Tide Search program. But how to prevent such unwanted programs in the future? Here’re several useful tips for you:
- Never visit malicious websites. If you visit them by chance, please exit at once. Those websites often download and install unwanted programs on your PC without permission.
- Avoid installing pirated software. Some pirated software may be bundled with additional applications that you don’t need. When you install them, adware and spyware may enter your machine silently.
- Keep choosing Custom/Advanced Install. When installing a program, sometimes you are allowed to select the Express (Recommended) Install or Custom (Advanced) Install. You should always choose the latter so as to uncheck or cancel the installation of additional unwanted programs during installation.
- Read the EULA carefully. If possible, read the agreements and privacy policies of the products before you installation them. Since some may mention the content that may damage your machine or violate your personal privacy. If you can’t agree, cancel the installation.
- Install an advanced antivirus program. A professional antivirus program helps you defend the PC against various cyber infections. It can also block bundled programs and protect your computer.
Have trouble removing Tide Search? Wonder how to get rid of multiple unwanted programs quickly and entirely? Download and install SpyHunter and all those problems will be solved immediately.
The following video offers a complete guide for Tide Search removal. You’d better watch it in full-screen mode!