My Google Chrome is hijacked by BoBrowser recently.
What is BoBrowser?
How does it enter my machine?
Is it safe to keep it on my PC?
How do I remove BoBrowser from my computer? Please help me!!
Explanation & Solution
BoBrowser is created by ClaraLabs Software which is a software publisher located in Paris, France. The publisher primarily develops software that can be classified as adware.
According to the publisher information, BoBrowser is classified as an adware. Moreover, this adware is detected by a lot of anti-malware programs.
BoBrowser is a potentially unwanted program which claims that it can provide users with many advantages. For example:
Sounds really useful, isn’t it? At first sight, you may find that this adware shares the same appearance with Google Chrome. Many computer users mistaken it is an extension of Google Chrome. It makes it easy for users to download it through the visual impact. But in reality it is not a legitimate and useful browser. Don’t be fooled. This threat pretends to promise that it can bring many advantages to you. Unknown to users, this program is created with the purpose of promoting commercial advertisements in order to tempt you to download it. In this way, the creators will earn money by pay-per-click.
Usually, the adware comes into your PC bundled with free downloads. Research shows that a majority of adware (including BoBrowser) are generated through the program called “download client” on freeware download websites. Download client makes a profit from these websites by offering the installation of additional programs in conjunction with the chosen free programs. So you are highly advised against downloading free programs from unknown sources. Otherwise, reckless download and installation of freeware may not only install BoBrowser but also install other potentially unwanted programs on your PC. In order to avoid installing Bobrowser or other PUPs, you should be very careful while installing freeware. Please follow every step download procedure of the free programs and never accept the installation of any other additional programs offered. During the installation process, please seriously read the setup information before continuing and always opt for the Advanced or Custom installation which will expose any hidden programs listed in the installation and allow you to deselect them.
As stated earlier, there is no difference between BoBrowser and other adware programs. They are just adept at disguising themselves as useful browser to deceive users. Their purpose is to generate revenue by displaying tons of intrusive online ads which contain offers, deals, coupons or pop ups. Usually, these ads delivered by BoBrowser are labeled as “Ads by BoBrowser”, “Ad by BoBrowser”, “By BoBrowser Ads”, etc. (As shown on below screenshot)
If you have noticed that your web page is full of the ads by BoBrowser, it means that your computer is already infected with this nasty adware. In order to avoid more trouble brought by it, you are highly recommended to get rid of it with a reputable removal tool.
After your computer gets infected by this adware, it will execute a series of destructive activities as shown on below:
Important note: Never underestimate the adware’s ability to infect and destroy your computer. The longer BoBrowser stays on your PC, the more serious problems can be caused by it. So you are strongly advised to get rid of it from your computer as soon as possible. Please follow the detailed instructions below to eradicate the insidious adware immediately.
BoBrowser Removal Instructions
You can get rid of BoBrowser adware automatically with the help of one of these powerful and professional removal tools: SpyHunter, Malwarebytes Anti Malware and Max Spyware Detector. The reason why we recommend these anti-malware programs is that they can easily and quickly delete the stubborn BoBrowser, its registry files as well as other potentially unwanted programs installed on your PC.
Auto1: Remove BoBrowser and its registry files with SpyHunter.
- Free download SpyHunter from the below button.
3. Follow the prompts to complete the installation of SpyHunter. Then click EXIT button.
4. Once SpyHunter is successfully installed, then click on “Scan Computer Now” to scan BoBrowser and other potential threats.
5.After the scan is ended, click on the “Fix Threats” button to remove all detected threats in your registry entry, and then restart your computer after the removal.
Auto2: Remove remnants of BoBrowser with Malwarebytes.
- Free download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the below button.
3. Follow the prompts and keep clicking the “Next” button to finish the installation.
4. Then click on “Scan Now” to scan your system.
5. When the scan done, the windows will show you the found threats. And then click Remove Selected to terminate them.
If it prompts you to restart computer, you can restart your PC later.
Auto3: Run Max Spyware Detector to delete other potential threats and scan your PC again.
- Free download Max Spyware Detector from the below button.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions, until the installation is finished. Then Max Spyware Detector automatically performs a quick scan of your system.
4. After the scan is done, click Update Now to upgrade to full version.
5. Then click the “Fix Issues Now” to eliminate all detected threats in your computer.
Note: Of course, you can also try to use manual method to get rid of BoBrowser. If you have enough time and you are an experienced computer expert, you can try. But it has to say that manual method really requires certain level of computer skills and it can’t guarantee the adware as well as other potentially unwanted programs will be completely removed. In short, be very careful during the removal process. If you want to remove the pesky adware safely and quickly, please use the automatic methods mentioned above.
Attention: Only for advanced and experienced PC users who are familiar with the hidden files and registry deletion operation.
Step1: Uninstall BoBrowser from Control Panel.
- Click Start button and then select Control Panel.
- Now click on Programs —> Programs and Features. (Be available to Windows 7, Vista, 8). Of course, you may also click on “Uninstall a program” under Programs directly.
- Uninstall BoBrowser from the list of the installed programs.
For Windows XP users
- Click Start button and then select Control Panel.
- Then click on Add/Remove Programs.
- Uninstall BoBrowser from the list of the installed programs.
Note: If you face any type of problems while uninstalling BoBrowser, then you can use a powerful removal tool to remove this adware.
Step2. Remove BoBrowser from Internet Explorer.
Step2.1: Remove BoBrowser add-ons from Internet Explorer.
- Open Internet Explorer and then click on Tool > Manage add-ons.
- Now you will get a window which has listed all the installed add-ons.
- Disable BoBrowser add-on as well as all the unknown/unwanted add-ons from the list.
Step2.2: Remove BoBrowser homepage from Internet Explorer.
- Open Internet Explorer and then click on Tool >Internet Options.
- A configuration page will be opened as shown below, then click on General tab. Under Home page edit box, get rid of BoBrowser homepage http://isearch.bobrowser.com and then type the one you like as your default homepage. At last, click on OK button.
Step2.3: Reset Internet Explorer——Restore to default setting.
- Open Internet Explorer and then click on Tool > Internet options.
- A configuration page will be opened, click on Advanced tab and then click on Reset button.
- Now a new window opens, then tick mark on Delete personal settings and then click on Reset button.(As shown below on screenshot)
Step3: Remove BoBrowser from Mozilla Firefox.
Step3.1: Remove BoBrowser Extensions from Mozilla Firefox.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and then click on Tool > Add-ons.
- Click on Extensions at the left side. Then you will see all the installed extensions at the right side.
- Disable BoBrowser extensions as well as all the unknown/unwanted extensions from the list.
Step3.2: Remove BoBrowser homepage from Mozilla Firefox .
- Open Mozilla Firefox and then click on Tool > Options.
- After a configuration will be opened, click on General tab.
- Under Home page edit box, get rid of BoBrowser homepage http://isearch.bobrowser.com and then type the one you prefer as your current pages, then click on OK button.
Step3.3: Reset Mozilla Firefox——Restore to default setting.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and then click on Help > Troubleshooting Information.
Note: you can also open this page in this way, open Firefox and then type this command in the address bar “about support” and then hit Enter.
- After entering, you will see “Reset Firefox” in the right side of the page.
- Then click on Reset Firefox option and then follow the instruction to reset Firefox. (As shown on below screenshot)
Step4: Remove BoBrowser from Google Chrome.
Step4.1: Remove BoBrowser Extensions from Google Chrome.
- Open Google Chrome, click on (located in the top right corner of the browser), then click on Tool > Extensions. (As shown on below screenshot)
- Now you will get a configuration page which has listed all the installed extensions, remove BoBrowser extension and other unwanted/unknown extensions by clicking the trash icon . (As shown on below screenshot)
Step4.2: Remove BoBrowser homepage from Google Chrome.
- Open Google Chrome and then click on (located in the top right corner of the browser) > Settings.
- Under configuration page, you will find a option named as “Open a specific page or set of pages”. Then click on Set Pages.
- After a window comes up, delete BoBrowser homepage http://isearch.bobrowser.com and then type the one you prefer as your new page. For example: www.google.com. At last, click on OK button.
- In the same configuration page, click on Manage search engines button and then remove BoBrowser search engine , make Google as your default search engine. (See the below screenshot for better understand)
Step4.3: Reset Google Chrome——Restore to default setting.
- Open Google Chrome and then click on the icon (Located in the top right corner of the browser) > Settings.
- Scroll down and click on “Show advanced settings…” option.
- Then continue scrolling down to find “Reset browser setting” option and click it.
- After a configuration page comes up, click on Reset button.
Attention: Uninstalling programs from Control Panel and browser may not be adequate to get rid of BoBrowser completely. As an insidious adware, it can use an advanced technique to protect its process and conceal its files. On this occasion, you can rely on a powerful removal tool to eliminate it automatically.
Step5：Remove BoBrowser adware from Windows shortcuts.
- Right-click on the shortcut of Google Chrome and then left click on the properties option.
- Now click on Shortcut tab and then delete BoBrowser URL http://isearch.bobrowser.com from the Target box. (See the below screenshot for a better understand)
Important Note: The same steps to delete BoBrowser shortcut are available to all browsers like Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari.
Step6: Show all hidden files and folders and delete them.
Step6.1: Show all the hidden files and folders.
- Go to Start button and then select Control Panel.
- Now Click on Appearance and Personalization > Folder Options. Then click on View tab.(Available to Windows 7, Vista, 8)
- Under Advanced settings, locate “Hidden files and folders.” Check “Show hidden files, folders, and drives.” And then click on Apply > OK. (As shown on below screenshot)
For Windows XP user
- Click on Start button and then choose Control Panel.
- Double click Folder Options and then click on View tab.
- Under Advanced settings, locate “Hidden files and folders.” Check “Show hidden files, folders, and drives.” And then click on OK. (As shown on below screenshot)
Step6.2: Search for and remove malicious files generated by BoBrowser on your Hard Drive.
%program files%common filessystemBoBrowser.dll
%program files(x86)%BoBrowser uninstall
%appdata%roaming[BoBrowser].exe or folder
Caution: Hard Drive stores many important settings in hidden files and folders. Do not modify or delete any hidden files you don’t know. Anyway, be very careful. If you don’t know how to do, it is strongly recommended you to use automatic methods to remove the files created by the adware.
Step7. Go to Registry Editor and delete registry files created by BoBrowser.
Step7.1: Open Registry Editor.
- Press Windows+R simultaneously, type “Regedit” into the run box and then click OK button. (Available on Windows 7 /Vista, 8 and XP)
- You will get a registry editor window.
- In the registry editor, click on Edit menu and then click on find option.
- Type BoBrowser into the find box and then click on Find Next.
- Another new window comes up, double click BoBrowser(Value).
- Do not delete the complete value data, just delete BoBrowser path by right clicking. (You’d better see the screenshot below)
Step7.2: Delete other registry files generated by BoBrowser.
Warning: Almost all the paths created by BoBrowser are different. The Random Files and Registry Entries created by the infection are not easy to be identified. Any mistakes may lead to data corruption or loss. If you want to clear away all of them, it’s quite difficult. So for safety consideration, we recommend you to use BoBrowser Removal Tool to fix the problem.
Step8: Get rid of BoBrowser from Startup and Services.
- Press Windows+R simultaneously, type “Msconfig” into the run box and then click OK button. (Available on Windows 7 /Vista, 8 and XP)
- You will enter a page called System Configuration (Windows 7, Vista and 8) or called System Configuration Utility. (Windows XP)
- In the window, click on Startup tab.
- Look on the list, uncheck all the unknown/unwanted items related to BoBrowser and then click on OK.
- When you finish the step to remove BoBrowser from Startup, now go to Services and click it.
- Click on “Hide All Microsoft Services”.
- Now it just shows the third party services, and then uncheck the services which contain BoBrowser. And also uncheck all the unwanted/unknown services. At last, click on OK button.
Through the detailed manual and automatic methods, I believe the cunning adware BoBrowser has been removed completely from your computer. Thank you for reading!
The following video offers a complete guide for BoBrowser adware removal. You’d better watch it in full-screen mode!