Is your computer homepage changed to Gold-page.com without permission? Is your default search engine replaced with Babylon Search? Why your web addresses are redirected? If your browser is hijacked but you don’t know how to get rid of it, follow the guide in this post to delete the malware.
What is Gold-page.com?
Gold-page.com is considered as a browser hijacker that changes the default homage, search engine and other internet browser settings without consent. It usually enters the PC by being bundled with other free applications. If you recently installed a new program without paying much attention during installation, this hijacker may take the opportunity to get installed. It is able to affect almost all web browsers including Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera and Safari. If your computer is also attacked by it, you may find the default homepage and search engine are changed to another against your will.
Screenshot of Gold-page.com:
The site provides you search services including web, images, video and games, etc. But when you do a search by using its search engine, the search results can’t be showed immediately. Instead, you will be redirected to another search engine such as Google that you used to set as the default search provider. In fact, the browser hijacker is designed to increase web traffic to make profits.
The hijacker not only makes modifications on your browser settings, but also displays many advertisements on your machine. From the screenshot above, we can see that several ads are displayed under the search box. Please note that the site is not responsible for any third-party products or links provided or promoted by it. If you are interested in those ads displayed by it, please read their terms and privacy polices carefully before making a purchase or downloading. Otherwise, your computer may run slower and slower due to those unnecessary or rogue programs.
Moreover, Gold-page.com monitors your browsing data including the URLs you visited, the search queries you sent and even your usernames and emails by using cookies and other tracking technologies. Your data may be sent to third parties for commercial purposes. Then you will receive more advertisements associated with what you have searched or viewed when using the web browsers.
Note: To fix the browser hijacking problem and stop those unwanted sponsored ads, please get rid of Gold-page.com as soon as possible. Generally, the hijacker can be deleted manually by uninstalling relevant products and resetting the homepage and search engine. But some can’t be removed completely unless you use a powerful removal tool. If you have trouble clearing this hijacker, please use a professional malware removal tool to delete the threats automatically.
How to get rid of Gold-page.com from your computer? (Removal guide)
- Step1: Uninstall suspicious programs via Control Panel
- Step2: Remove Gold-page.com from your web browsers
- Internet Explorer Mozilla Firefox Google Chrome Safari
- Step3: Repair your Hosts Files
- Step4: Use a powerful tool to clear Gold-page.com completely
Step1: Uninstall suspicious programs via Control Panel
Since the browser hijacker also comes along with potentially unwanted programs, you need to go to Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs to check if there is any unfamiliar program. If any is found, remove it from the Windows.
- Press Win+X to open the menu, click/tap on Control Panel.
- Select to view the Control Panel in either the Category, Large icons, or Small icons view. If you choose View by: Category, click on Uninstall a Program under Programs category.
- Select the program that is associated with Gold-page.com and click on Uninstall button.
- If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.
- Then follow the rest of the onscreen instructions to completely remove the program.
- Click on Start button and click on Control Panel.
- Double click on Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP) or click on Programs -> Programs and Features (Windows 7/Vista).
- Find the browser hijacker related program and click on Remove button or Uninstall button.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the removal.
Step2: Remove Gold-page.com from your web browsers
Sometimes your default homepage and search engine may be changed. The target field of your browser shortcut may also be modified. You need to repair them if those browser settings got changed.
Delete malicious add-on/plug-in from IE
- Click the IE menu icon or Tools and select Manage add-ons.
- Select Toolbars and Extensions in the Manage Add-ons window.
- Choose any add-on available whose publisher is the same as the browser hijacker.
- Click on Remove button to clear the target add-on.
Get your default search engine back
- Click Tools or the IE menu icon and choose Manage Add-ons.
- In the Manage –Add-ons window, click Search Providers.
- If Babylon Search or other unwanted search engine is found there, select it and click the Remove button.
- Choose the one you’d like and click on Set as default button.
- Then click on OK to save the changes.
Change your IE homepage
- Click Tools or IE menu icon and select Internet Options.
- Click General tab and go to Home page.
- Delete Gold-page.com and type www.google.com or another URL you want.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Remove unknown add-on from Firefox
- Click on Tools or the Firefox menu icon on the top right of the browser and then select Add-ons.
- Click on the Extensions tab on the left side in the Add-ons Manager page,
- When all Firefox installed extensions are displayed, find the unwanted add-on and click on the Remove button to delete it.
Delete Gold-page.com from Firefox homepage
- Click on Tools or Firefox menu icon on the top right of the browser and select Options.
- Click on the General in the Options page.
- Under Startup section, make sure “Show my homepage” is selected when Firefox starts. Delete Gold-page.com from the Home Page box if it exists, and then enter the address of your desired homepage.
Set your default search engine
- Click on Tools or the Firefox menu icon on the top right of the browser and select Options.
- Select Search on the left side of the Options page.
- Under Default Search Engine, click on the drop-down menu ▼and then choose the search engine you want to set as the default search engine.
Delete any dubious extension from Chrome
- Click on the Chrome menu button in the upper right corner of the browser and then click on More Tools and select Extensions.
- From the list of installed extensions, select the add-on related to the browser hijacker and click on the trash icon next to it to remove the item.
Delete Gold-page.com from the startup page and homepage
Click on the Chrome menu button in the upper right corner of the browser and then click on More Tools and select Settings.
Under On Startup section, check Open a specific or set of pages and click on Set Pages. Delete the URL of the unwanted startup page by clicking on “X”. Then type an address of the website you prefer in the editable field and click OK.
Scroll down to Appearance section, check “Show Home button” and then click on Change. If Gold-page.com is displayed in the box next to Open this page:, delete it and then type another site you’d like to set as default homepage and click on OK button.
Delete the unwanted search engine
Click on the Chrome menu button in the upper right corner of the browser and then click on More Tools and choose Settings.
Under Search, if the default search is changed to another one that you don’t want, click on the drop-down menu ▼ and select the search engine you want.
To delete the unwanted search engine, click on Manage Search Engines…. Hover over the unwanted search engine and click on “X” next to it to remove it. Then click OK button.
Uninstall any extension associated with the browser hijacker
- Click on the Safari menu icon and then select Preferences.
- Click on Extensions tab in the window.
- Find the extensions that are associated with the browser hijacker and click on Uninstall button.
Reset the browser homepage
- Click on the Gear icon (Action Menu) and select Preferences….
- In the Safari’s General Preferences window, check the Homepage, delete Gold-page.com and then enter the desired URL in the edit field.
Set the desired search engine as your default search provider
- Click on Safari menu and select Preferences….
- Under Safari General tab window, click on Search tab.
- Click the drop-down menu next to Search engine and select your preferred search engine.
Step3: Repair your Hosts Files
The browser hijacking problem sometimes may be caused by the modification of your hosts file by malware. Some malware can alter your hosts file and redirect Web addresses without your permission. Follow the steps below to ensure that your hosts file is secure:
Navigate to the following folder location:
Find the Hosts file and right-click on it, select Notepad. (Please note that you need to log on with administrative credentials to make changes in the files host.)
If you find Gold-page.com and its respective IP addresses, delete them and press Ctrl+S to save the changes.
Step4: Use a powerful tool to clear Gold-page.com completely
If the steps above fail to remove the browser hijacker completely, you may need a third-party removal tool to complete the removal. A professional malware removal tool like SpyHunter is able to detect and remove adware, spyware, browser hijackers as well as their leftovers completely. Follow the guide below to get rid of the malware from your computer by using SpyHunter quickly.
- Before scanning the PC, you need to update its product version and DB version to the newest versions and then close all running files, folders and applications. Click Scan Computer Now button to start scanning your PC.
- When the scan is complete, all the items associated with Gold-page.com will be displayed in the search results. Click on Fix Threats to remove all of them.
- You need to register for the full version of SpyHunter before completely deleting all the threats.
Alternatively, you can try another excellent anti-malware program – Malwarebytes, which detects and removes various malware fully with industry-leading technology.
- Install Malwarebytes on your computer by following its installation wizard: choose I accept the agreement option during the installation process to proceed > check Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware when the setup has finished installed Malwarebytes > click on Finish button. The tool will launch automatically soon.
- If the database version is not the latest version, you need to download and install the updates before scanning the system. Close all the running programs and files and then click on Scan Now button to scan your PC for the browser hijacker.
- When the scan is complete, click on Remove Selected button to delete all the threats found. Those files will be quarantined. If you are prompted to reboot the PC to complete the removal process, click on Yes button.
Note: Still fail to get rid of Gold-page.com from your computer? Try Max Spyware Detector!
Suggestion: To avoid malware like this browser hijacker, you need to be more cautious while surfing the web. Don’t visit malicious websites or click on any suspicious link, attachment in emails. In addition, always choose the custom install so as to uncheck unwanted items when installing a program on your PC. It’s also important to keep a powerful and real-time antivirus program on your machine to protect your system from malware effectively.
The following video offers a complete guide for Gold-page.com redirect virus removal. You’d better watch it in full-screen mode!