The default homepage of my IE browser is hijacked by Luckysite123.com, a site which I’ve never visited before. I tried everything including changing the homepage settings, deleting related registry entries, using windows defender, etc. I also tried to restore the IE browser settings to defaults but still no luck. I’m running out of ideas but the unwanted site is still there! What’s wrong with my browser? How can I get rid of it completely?
If you are always redirected to a website that you had no intention of visiting when using the browser, it seems that you encounter a browser hijacking issue. How does the threat arrive on your computer? How to delete it completely from the PC? Read on and you will find the answers.
What is Luckysite123.com?
|Type||Browser Hijacker / Potentially Unwanted Program|
|Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Opera & Microsoft Edge|
Alter the default homepage and default search engine and other browser settings
Cause browser redirection issue when start the browser
Display many unwanted advertisements when do a search
|software-bundling, infected e-mail, a file share, or a drive-by download|
|Manually delete the relevant programs and files as mentioned in this post or download a Luckysite123.com removal tool!|
LuckySite123 is considered as a browser hijacker/potentially unwanted program. It usually comes bundled with other free applications from the Internet and arrives on users’ computers without their knowledge. Once installed, it may affect popular web browsers including Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome and change the browser settings like the default homepage and default search engine. Similar to Muzeen.com, Yardood.com and Search.co-cmf.com, this browser hijacker redirects users to its own site – luckysite123.com, which provides the search services similar to well-known search providers like Yahoo, Google or Bing.
Screenshot of the browser hijacker:
The site itself is not malicious and users can do a search by using the search services provided by it. However, we don’t suggest users keep this on their machines because such browser hijackers are mainly used to tamper with user’s browser settings and generate revenue by displaying advertising. Typically, the browser hijacker forces users to visit a specific site whenever they start the browsers and may display advertisements and links related to what they search for in the search results.
The PUP may install a browser extension/ browser extension/ browser helper object/ toolbar that claim to improve users’ experience on a website by providing interactive content. However, the browsers may not freeze or crash or display unwanted pop-up advertisements due to the add-ons. Moreover, it may append the argument http://www.luckysite123.com to the shortcuts of users’ browsers. This will keep redirecting users to specific websites when they start their affected browsers.
In addition, the PUP monitors users’ browsing activities and collects their personal data like search queries, IP addresses, websites visited, etc. Please note that some data collected by it may be personally identifiable and they may be sent to third parties for commercial purposes. The original purpose of using the data is to provide you with more accurate content when surfing the web. However, your data might be misused by cyber criminals and you might encounter troubles like identify theft or other problems.
Note: For the sake of your computer and personal data, please remove Luckysite123.com from the PC as soon as possible. Can’t remove the browser hijacker by resetting the browser settings? Reinstall the browser but still fails? A professional malware removal tool is strongly recommended.
How does Luckysite123.com spread?
Usually, potentially unwanted program like Luckysite123.com can be installed as part of freeware installation. They may be mentioned in the End User License Agreement (EULA) but probably described as helpful software. But the fact is that users typically ignore the EULAs or give it a cursory reading and then click on “I agree” button. The browser hijacker may also be bundled into a software installer as an optional install. By choosing the custom install or advanced install, in most cases you’ll find a checkbox to uncheck the optional item during installation.
In addition, the PUPs may be installed through an infected e-mail, a file share, or a drive-by download without user permission.
To avoid such PUPs, we suggest you be cautious about freeware downloads, choose Advanced/Custom Install, read EULAs carefully when installing a new program, and never click on unknown links or attachments in strange emails.
How to get rid of Luckysite123.com completely?
Step1: Uninstall potentially unwanted programs through Control Panel
The browser hijacking problem may come along with or be caused by certain unwanted program or toolbar. You need to go to Programs and Features and uninstall any suspicious application. Follow the guide below to remove them from the Windows.
For Windows 10/8/8.1, press Windows + X to open the quick access menu and then click on Programs and Features.
All the currently installed programs will be displayed in the window. Search for the programs that may cause the luckysite123.com browser hijacking or were installed without permission, uninstall them by selecting them and clicking on Uninstall button.
For Windows 7/Vista/XP, click on Start button and select Control Panel.
Click on Programs and Features or Uninstall a program (Windows 7/Vista), or double click on Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP).
In the list of currently installed programs, select any program that is strange to you and remove them by clicking on Uninstall or Remove.
If any suspicious software or toolbar can’t be removed successfully through Control Panel, we suggest that you use a professional malware removal tool to fix the problem effectively. Even if the potentially unwanted programs can be uninstalled by using the Windows uninstaller, some files and registry entries may still remain on your system. To completely get rid of them, an advanced malware removal tool is strongly recommended.
Step2: Remove annoying extensions/add-ons from your browsers
The browser hijacking problem may also be caused by certain unwanted browser extension/add-on. If your browser is hijacked, follow the instructions below to check the browser extension list and remove any harmful one if found.
- Click on Tools or the IE menu button, and then select Manage Add-ons.
- In the Manage add-ons window, click on Toolbars and Extensions under Add-on Types on the left panel and then click the “Show” box and ensure it is set to “All add-ons.”. All your installed toolbars and add-ons in IE will be showed on the right panel.
- Find any one that was installed without consent recently, select it and click on the Remove button.
- Click on the Chrome menu button in the top right corner of the browser, select More Tools -> Extensions.
- In the chrome://extensions/ page, search for any extension that may bring luckysite123.com and remove it by clicking on the chrome-trashcan-icon next to it.
- Click on Tools on the menu bar (If the menu bar doesn’t show up, right click on the top bar of the browser and select Open menu bar.) and select Add-ons. Or click on the Mozilla Firefox menu button in the top right corner of the browser and then select Add-ons.
- In the Add-ons Manager page, click on Extensions on the left side.
- Find any strange add-on that may result in the browser problems and remove it by clicking on Remove button next to it.
Can’t remove unwanted browser add-ons/extensions completely?
If you remove the add-ons/extensions but they keep coming back after a browser restart, you may consider using a professional tool to remove the annoying toolbars/plug-ins/ extensions/add-ons completely. Malicious toolbars/extensions should be deleted as soon as possible because they may not only change the browser settings, but also cause your browser to be bombed with a lot of pop-up ads. Do you find the Uninstall button of the unwanted browser plug-ins or extension becomes greyed out? Use a top anti-malware tool like SpyHunter to detect and get rid of them easily and fully now.
Step3: Repair the homepage and search engine modified by luckysite123.com
If the browser settings like the default homepage, startup page and the default search engine are altered by the PUP, follow the guide below to reset them yourself.
- Click on the Tools or the IE menu button and choose Internet Options.
- Under the General tab, locate to the Home page field and delete luckysite123.com if it is there. Then enter the address of the website that you’d like to set as the default homepage instead. Click OK to save the changes.
- Click on Tools or the IE menu button and select Manage add-ons.
- Click on Search Providers under Add-on Types. If any unwanted search engine is listed there, select it and click Remove button and then click Close. Choose a search engine you want and click Set as default to set it as the default search provider.
- Click on Chrome menu button at the top right corner of the browser window and select Settings.
- Under On startup, select Open a specific page or set of pages and click the Set pages. If luckysite123.com is found, delete it and then enter the URL of your preferred page in the blank field and click on OK to save the changes.
- Under Appearance, check the Open Homepage button and the home icon will appear on the left of the address bar. Click on the Change link. If any unwanted URL is displayed there, please delete it by clicking on the “X” button. Then type the address of the website you’d like in the editable field and click on OK button.
- Under Search, click on the arrow button and select the search engine that you want. It will become you default search engine.
- To delete the unwanted search engine, click on Manage search engines… link. Delete the search engine you want to remove by clicking on the “X” icon. Click on OK button to save the changes.
- Click on Tools or the Firefox menu button at the top right corner of the browser window and select Options.
- Click on General. Under Startup, make sure When Firefox starts: is set to Show my home page. Delete luckysite123.com from the Home Page field if you see it there. Then enter the address of your preferred website to make it the default homepage.
- Click on Search on the left side of the page. Under Default Search Engines, click on the arrow icon and select the one you’d like to set as the default search engine.
- Under One-click search engines, select the unwanted search engine you and click on Remove button to delete it. Close the page and the changes will be saved.
Step4: Reset the browser settings to default settings (Optional)
Alternatively, you can restore the browser settings to their original settings to repair the add-ons, homepage and search engine and other settings that were modified by luckysite123.com. Resetting the browser settings to defaults often fix the browser issues caused by potentially unwanted programs.
- Click on Tools or the Tools button () and select Internet Options.
- Under the Advanced tab, then click on Reset….
- Check the box of Delete personal settings and then click on Reset button. This will reset all the personal settings mentioned in the window.
- Click on Done button when the reset is completed. You must restart the computer for these changes to take effect.
- Click on Chrome menu button in the upper right corner of the browser window and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on the Show Advanced Settings….
- Click on Reset browser settings.
- Click on Reset button to restore the Chrome’s settings to the original.
- Click on Help on the menu bar and select Troubleshoot Information.
Alternatively, click on the Firefox menu button at the upper right corner of the browser window -> click on the question mark button to open the Help menu -> select Troubleshoot Information.
- Click on the Refresh Firefox .
- Click on Refresh button to confirm the change.
Step5: Repair the browser shortcut target
Occasionally, the browser hijacking problem will occur if your browser shortcut is affected. The PUP may append the argument luckysite123.com to the browser shortcuts on the desktop and force the browsers to redirect to the specific site when they are started.
If you keep being redirected to an unwanted site every time you start a browser, please check the browser shortcut and ensure there is no harmful item in the Target field. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Right click on the IE/Chrome/Firefox shortcut on your desktop or task bar and select Properties.
- Under Shortcut, check the Target: field. If you see any unwanted URL keeps telling the browser to load when you open it, delete that web address and click OK to save your changes.
Below are the default paths for IE/Chrome/Firefox:
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (32 bit)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (64 bit)
C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe (32 bit)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe (64 bit)
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe (32 bit)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe (64 bit)
Step6: Remove luckysite123.com with a malware removal tool
Sometimes the browser hijacker can’t be removed completely by uninstalling unwanted programs and changing the browser settings. Some files and registry entries of the hijacker might still remain on the system. However, it’s complicated and difficult for regular users to modify the Windows registry manually. For the sake of your PC, it’s not suggested that you make changes on the registry yourself if you have little experience in deleting registry entries. In this case, it’s necessary to use a professional malware removal tool to fix the problem.
SpyHunter is an anti-malware program that is able to find and remove luckysite123.com thoroughly. In addition to browser hijackers, this tool can detect and clear other cyber threats like Trojans, adware, spyware, ransomware and so on. It shows the brief info of the threats found in the scan results and also lists the relevant malicious files. With SpyHunter, you can get rid of the browser hijacker successfully within seconds.
- Download SpyHunter to your computer.
- SpyHunter starts to scan your system for malware. To scan for viruses effectively, you may need to update the tool to the latest version before scanning. To start a new scan, click on Scan Computer Now button. The scanning may take a few minutes to finish.
- Once done, all the threats on your PC will be showed in the scan results. Click on the expand button next to the luckysite123.com and other threats and more details about them will be displayed. To clear them, click on the Fix Threats button.
- SpyHunter is a free virus scanner. You need to purchase its full version to completely clear the threats found.
In a word, Luckysite123.com is a potentially unwanted program that can alter the browser settings like the homepage, new tab or the search engine. This site is not a virus but it is not suggested that you keep it on the PC. Browser hijackers like luckysite123.com not only tamper with your browser settings and force you to visit specific sites, but also collect your information for commercial purposes. As a result, your browsing experience will be affected and the computer performance may become slow. It’s unhappy to see lots of annoying sponsored advertisements when you do a search on the web.
Some browser hijackers can be removed easily by changing the browser settings. But some keep coming back after a browser restart. In this case, you need to ensure all the files and registry entries of the PUPs have been deleted. If you can’t delete luckysite123.com by manually resetting the browser settings, try removing its registry entries using registry editor. But this is complicated and risky for regular computer users. Since wrong deletion of valid registry key may damage the system permanently, we strongly suggest you download and install a luckysite123.com removal tool to safely and fully remove the malware.
The following video offers a complete guide for Luckysite123.com browser hijacker removal. You’d better watch it in full-screen mode!