I am having a browser hijacking problem with Myhomepage123.com. Every time I open my default browser Chrome, it goes not to google.com (it’s how I setup Home) but to Myhomepage123.com. If I open a new tab – same thing happens. This issue started several days ago and I’m not sure what caused it. I was googling some information for this but none of them worked. The methods I’ve tried including resetting the browser homepage, reinstalling Chrome and scanning computer with security tools. Is there any suggestion? Thanks advance.
Browser hijacked by Myhomepage123.com? Can’t delete the unwanted homepage from your browsers? Fail to fix the problem by reinstalling browser? If so, read on and follow the guide in this post to get rid of the infection effectively and completely?
Information about Myhomepage123.com
According to McAfee, “browser hijacking is when your Internet browser (eg. Chrome, FireFox, Internet Explorer) settings are modified.” A browser hijacker is a type of malware that is designed to change your browser’s settings. If your computer has a browser hijacker installed, the default homepage or search page may be changed and you may get a lot of advertisements when using the infected browsers. The browser hijacking issue may not damage your machine, but it still affects your browsing experience and might result in other serious problems like personal privacy issues.
Like Coolsearch.Info, Search.moviecorner.com and Search.searchdirma.com, Myhomepage123.com is also a browser hijacker or PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program), which can change your browser homepage, search engine or new tab. It is usually bundled with free applications from the Internet and installed on the computers silently. The program claims that it has partnered with some of the most popular software packages, giving you the option to install its search settings during setup. It means that you may install this program when you download and install another desired freeware from the web without paying much attention during setup. Once it has been installed, it may alter the Internet browser settings including the default homepage, start up page, search engine, new tab, error page and other search settings. Most popular web browsers, such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, could be affected by this PUP. You may see the page as below showed when you start the browser:
In fact, the website looks like Google and also provides similar search services. Myhomepage123 claim that its goal is to provide computer users with the ultimate online search experience. However, browser hijackers are mainly developed to boost advertising revenue to inflate a site’s page ranking in search results. When you do a search by using the built-in search box provided by the PUP, the search results go to links that the hijacker wants you to see. If you click on the sponsored ads or links, the developers of browser hijackers can get paid. This is usually in the use of blackhat Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
Any of the following behaviors may occur when your browser is hijacked:
- Your homepage, new tab or search engine is replaced with another without your permission.
- When search for some information, the search results contain a lot ads related to what you searched for or they look unfamiliar to you.
- Some toolbars or extensions which you did not install appear on your browser somehow.
- Your webpages load slowly and the browser sometimes may freeze or crash.
- Various advertisements may pop up when you use web browsers.
Is it safe to keep Myhomepage123.com on the computer?
Note: To protect your computer from potential damage and safeguard your personal privacy, we suggest you remove Myhomepage123.com immediately. Tried to delete it from browsers manually but fail? Download a remover for this browser hijacker now!
Myhomepage123.com removal guide
Usually, browser hijackers can be deleted easily. You can remove them via Windows Control panel and then reset the browser settings. Then everything will be ok soon. However, some can’t be deleted smoothly. In this case, a specialized tool is necessary. The guide below shows you two methods of how to remove this browser hijacker. If your manual methods all fail, consider using a professional anti-malware program now.
Method1: Download a remover for Myhomepage123.com (Recommended)
SpyHunter is an anti-malware program that is able to find and remove Myhomepage123.com thoroughly. In addition to browser hijackers, this tool can detect and clear other cyber threats like Trojans, adware, spyware, ransomware and so on. It shows the brief info of the threats found in the scan results and also lists the relevant malicious files. With SpyHunter, you can get rid of the browser hijacker successfully within seconds.
- Download SpyHunter to your computer.
- SpyHunter starts to scan your system for malware. To scan for viruses effectively, you may need to update the tool to the latest version before scanning. To start a new scan, click on Scan Computer Now button. The scanning may take a few minutes to finish.
- Once done, all the threats on your PC will be showed in the scan results. You can see Myhomepage123.com and other threats which are visible to you but indeed exist on the system.Click on the expand button next to the infection and more details about it will be displayed. To clear them, click on the Fix Threats button.
- SpyHunter is a free virus scanner. You need to purchase its full version to completely wipe out Myhomepage123.com and other infections.
Plumbytes is a tool that detects and annoying browser toolbars or extensions, spyware, hijackers like Myhomepage123.com, ad injects and other types of malware. This tool is good at restoring your hijacked browser, search engine, and home page, and constantly monitoring your computer’s security. If your browser is hijacked, follow the steps below to fix it by using Plumbytes.
- Click here to download Plumbytes.
- Run the downloaded file to start the installation. Follow the instructions on the screen complete the installation. The installation process usually takes merely a few seconds.
- Once installed, Plumbytes starts to scan your system for malware automatically. The scanning may last for several minutes.
- When the scan is completed, all the threats on your PC are displayed in the scan results. You can see Myhomepage123.com and other threats are showed there. To clear the infections and protect your PC, click on the REMOVE SELECTED button.
- This is also a free malware detection utility. You need to purchase its full version to completely clear all the infections.
Method2: Manually delete Myhomepage123.com from your computer
Step1: Uninstall suspicious programs from your computer
- Right click on the Start menu in the bottom left corner of the screen. (If you are using Windows 8, press Windows key and then right click on the purple start menu)
- Select Programs and Features from the menu.
- All the currently installed programs will be displayed in the Programs and Features window. Search for the programs or toolbars that may cause the browser hijacking issue, select them and remove them by clicking on Uninstall button.
- Remove the unwanted programs with the given instructions completely.
- Click on Start button and choose Control Panel.
- Click on Uninstall a program under Programs category (View by: Category) or Programs and Features (View by: Large icons). Double click on Add/Remove Programs if you use Windows XP.
- Find the programs or plug-ins that may cause Myhomepage123.com browser hijacker, select them and uninstall them by clicking on Uninstall or Remove button.
- Follow the instructions to complete the uninstallation.
Note: Some unwanted toolbars/plug-ins/add-ons/extensions which cause the browser hijacking issue may not show up in Programs and Features. You may need to check the browser extensions and disable or remove any suspicious. If other unwanted applications installed without your permission are found, remove them as well.
Step2: Delete Myhomepage123 from browser add-ons
- Click on Tools or the IE menu button, and then select Manage Add-ons.
- In the window, click on Toolbars and Extensions under Add-on Types.
- If there is any add-on that is unfamiliar to you available on the list, select it and click on the Remove button.
- Click on Tools on the menu bar or the Mozilla Firefox menu button in the top right corner of the browser and then select Add-ons.
- In the Add-ons Manager page, click on Extensions on the left side.
- Find any strange add-on that may cause Myhomepage123.com browser hijacking and remove it by clicking on Remove button next to it.
- Click on the Chrome menu button in the top right corner of the browser and then select More Tools -> Extensions.
- Find any extension that was installed recently without permission and click chrome-trashcan-icon to remove it.
Step3: Delete Myhomepage123.com from browser homepage
If the PUP has modified your browser homepage, follow the guide below to delete the unwanted content and repair the browser settings.
- Click on the Tools or the IE menu button and choose Internet Options.
- Under the General tab, locate to the Home page field and delete Myhomepage123.com if it is there. Then enter the address of the website that you’d like to set as the default homepage instead. Click OK to save the changes.
- Click on Chrome menu button at the top right corner of the browser window and select Settings.
- Under On startup, select Open a specific page or set of pages and click the Set pages. If Myhomepage123.com is found, delete it and then enter the URL of your preferred page in the blank field and click on OK to save the changes.
- Under Appearance, check the Open Homepage button and the home icon will appear on the left of the address bar. Click on the Change link. If any unwanted URL is displayed there, please delete it by clicking on the “X” button. Then type the address of the website you’d like in the editable field and click on OK button.
- Click on Tools or the Firefox menu button at the top right corner of the browser window and select Options.
- Click on General. Under Startup, make sure When Firefox starts: is set to Show my home page. Delete Myhomepage123.com from the Home Page field if you see it there. Then enter the address of your preferred website to make it the default homepage.
Reset your browser settings to defaults (optional)
If you have followed the steps above to delete Myhomepage123.com but it still exists on the PC, you may consider performing a browser restore. When your browser settings are modified by a potentially unwanted program, resetting the browser settings to their original settings usually fix the problem. Please note that this procedure will remove your installed add-ons, toolbars and other customized settings.
Click on Tools or the Tools button and select Internet Options.
Under the Advanced tab, then click on Reset… .
Check the box of Delete personal settings and then click on Reset button.
You must restart the computer for these changes to take effect.
Click on Chrome menu button in the upper right corner of the browser and select Settings.
Scroll down to the end of the page and click on the Show Advanced Settings….
Click on Reset browser settings.
Click on Reset button to restore the Chrome’s settings to the original.
Click on Help on the menu bar and select Troubleshoot Information.
Or click on the Firefox menu button in the upper right corner of the browser and then click on the question button then select Troubleshoot Information.
Click on the Refresh Firefox .
Click on Refresh button to confirm the change.
Step4: Check your browser’s shortcut path
If the browser hijacker makes some changes in the properties of your browser shortcut, the browser may also be hijacked. To make sure the browser’s shortcut hasn’t been affected, follow the steps below to open the browser properties and delete harmful texts from the Target line.
- Find the IE/Firefox/Chrome browser shortcut on your desktop. Right click on it and select Properties.
- In the Properties window, select the Shortcut tab and ten have a look at the Target line.
By default, the text in Internet Explorer is
“C:Program FilesInternet Exploreriexplore.exe”.
Google Chrome is
“C:Program FilesGoogleChromeApplicationchrome.exe” (32 bit)
Or “C:Program Files (x86)GoogleChromeApplicationchrome.exe” (64-bit)
Mozilla Firefox is “C:Program FilesMozilla Firefoxfirefox.exe” (32-bit )
Or “C:Program Files (x86)Mozilla Firefoxfirefox.exe” (64-bit).
If you see Myhomepage123.com or other strange content in the Target line, please delete them and then click on OK button to save the changes.
Myhomepage123.com is a potentially unwanted program that can alter the browser settings like the homepage, new tab or the search engine. This site is not a virus but it is not suggested that you keep it on the PC. Browser hijackers not only tamper with your browser settings and force you to visit specific sites, but also collect your information for commercial purposes.
To protect your computer, browser hijackers like Myhomepage123.com should be removed from the PC completely. They not only tamper with your browser settings and force you to visit specific sites, but also collect your information for commercial purposes. As a result, your browsing experience will be affected and the computer performance may become slow. It’s unhappy to see lots of annoying sponsored advertisements when you do a search on the web.
Some browser hijackers can be removed easily by changing the browser settings. But some keep coming back after a browser restart. In this case, you need to ensure all the files and registry entries of the PUPs have been deleted. If you can’t delete Myhomepage123.com by manually resetting the browser settings, try removing its registry entries using registry editor. But this is complicated and risky for regular computer users. Since wrong deletion of valid registry key may damage the system permanently, we strongly suggest you download and install a Myhomepage123.com removal tool to safely and fully remove the malware.
The following video offers a complete guide for Myhomepage123.com browser hijacker removal. You’d better watch it in full-screen mode!