I have some malware that has hijacked my Chrome browser. Every time I start Chrome myluckysites.com loads automatically as the homepage. The problem is that I can’t find it in the homepage settings. Is there some way of starting Chrome without it going to this site? I have been using Google and getting used to it but now the start page and default homepage have been replaced with this unwanted site. I have already used AdwCleaner as well as Eset online scanner but they detect nothing on my PC. What do you suggest I do to fix the problem? Thanks in advance.
Keep being redirected to Myluckysites.com when start your web browser? Can’t delete the unwanted site by resetting the browser settings? How to fix the browser hijacking issue? Follow the guide in this post and you will be able to solve the problem.
What is Myluckysites.com?
Similar to Myluckysites.com, Yardood.com and Search.co-cmf.com, Myluckysites.com is also a browser hijacker/potentially unwanted program that changes users’ browser settings like the default homepage and search engine without permission. Usually, it can be bundled with freeware applications from the Internet and installed on the computers silently when users install the desired software. Popular web browsers including Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer may be affected. If your computer has the PUP, the default homepage, start up page, search engine, new tab and other settings of the browser may be altered. The default homepage may be displayed as the screenshot below:
Like well-known search providers, this site provides you with search services and enables you to search for the web, images, videos and news, etc. The site itself is safe and don’t damage your system. But we still suggest you not keep it on the PC because such browser hijackers are designed to tamper with users’ browser settings and display advertising for making profits for its developers. Even if the site is safe to visit, you’d better delete it from PC because it can track your personal data including search queries, websites visited, IP address, browser type and other information by using cookies and other tracking technologies. The data collected by it will be sent to third parties for commercial purposes, which claim to enhance your browsing experience. In fact, third parties aim to send you more ads or links based on your interests so that you will click on them and have purchase intention. Please note that your personally identifiable information may also be collected and shared with third parties. For the sake of your personal data online, you’d better not enter vital personal data in case evil people misuse them to make money.
How do PUPs like Myluckysites.com enter your computer?
As a potentially unwanted program, Myluckysites.com usually gets into the PC in deceptive ways without a user’s knowledge. It can be bundled with freeware from the Internet and installed on the PC when users install new software blindly. By using the “bundling” method, the unwanted application can be attached to the installation of a desired program as one of the optional items. If you don’t pay much attention to the installation process when installing a new program, it’s very likely that you neglect the section which gives you permission to install some software and lets it to change your browser homepage to Myluckysites.com. Typically, the “special offers” are allowed to cancel when you choose the Custom/Advanced Install option.
For example, when you install All Free ISO Ripper, there will be two options of installation: Standard/recommended installation and Custom installation. The former will install AVG toolbar and also change your browser settings on your PC. The latter allows you to unselect the checkboxes and cancel the installation of additional items. If you keep clicking on Next button without looking at the content carefully, potentially unwanted program can be installed inadvertently and the browser settings of IE, Chrome, Firefox and other browsers installed on your PC may be altered.
In addition, an infected e-mail, a file share, or a drive-by download can also bring potentially unwanted programs on your computer. You need to be cautious when surfing the Internet and never click on unsafe links visit malicious websites.
How to get rid of Myluckysites.com from your computer?
The instructions below show you how to remove the browser hijacker completely. If you have tried many manual methods like deleting the browser hijacker from browser homepage, resetting the browser settings, or reinstalling web browsers but the infection still exists, we suggest you download and install an advanced anti-malware program to scan the PC and clear the threats on your PC completely.
Option1: Remove Myluckysites.com automatically using SpyHunter (Strongly recommended)
Sometimes the browser hijacker can’t be removed completely by uninstalling unwanted programs and changing the browser settings. Some files and registry entries of the hijacker might still remain on the system. However, it’s complicated and difficult for regular users to modify the Windows registry manually. For the sake of your PC, it’s not suggested that you make changes on the registry yourself if you have little experience in deleting registry entries. In this case, it’s necessary to use a professional malware removal tool to fix the problem.
SpyHunter is an anti-malware program that is able to find and remove Myluckysites.com thoroughly. In addition to browser hijackers, this tool can detect and clear other cyber threats like Trojans, adware, spyware, ransomware and so on. It shows the brief info of the threats found in the scan results and also lists the relevant malicious files. With SpyHunter, you can get rid of the browser hijacker successfully within seconds.
- Download SpyHunter to your computer.
- SpyHunter starts to scan your system for malware. To scan for viruses effectively, you may need to update the tool to the latest version before scanning. To start a new scan, click on Scan Computer Now button. The scanning may take a few minutes to finish.
- Once done, all the threats on your PC will be showed in the scan results. Click on the expand button next to the Myluckysites.com and other threats and more details about them will be displayed. To clear them, click on the Fix Threats button.
- SpyHunter is a free virus scanner. You need to purchase its full version to completely clear the threats found.
Option2: Manually delete Myluckysites.com from your computer
Sometimes, browser hijackers can be easily removed by uninstalling relevant programs or resetting the browser settings. Follow the guide below and delete the browser hijacker from your IE/Chrome/Firefox manually.
Step1: Uninstall suspicious software/add-ons
- Type programs in the search field next to the Start button in the lower left corner of the screen and select Programs and Features in the search results.
- All the currently installed programs will be displayed in the Programs and Features window. Scroll down and see if there is any program that was installed without permission. If there is, select it and click on Uninstall button.
- Click on Uninstall in the pop-up to confirm the removal. Remove the unwanted programs with the given instructions completely.
- If you are running Windows 8, hover your mouse over the Start button until the menu occurs, then right click the menu. If you use Windows 8.1, right click on the Start menu on the bottom left directly.
- Select Programs and Features from the menu.
- Search for the programs or toolbars that may come along with Myluckysites.com browser hijacker, select them and remove them by clicking on Uninstall button.
- Follow the prompts to completely remove the unwanted programs.
- Click on Start button and choose Control Panel.
- Click on Uninstall a program under Programs category (View by: Category) or Programs and Features (View by: Large icons).
- Find the programs or plug-ins that were installed without your knowledge, select them and uninstall them by clicking on Uninstall button.
- Complete the removal by following the instructions on the screen.
- Click on Start button and select Control Panel.
- Double click on Add/Remove Programs.
- Select any program unfamiliar to you that was installed recently, click on Remove button.
- Follow the instructions to complete the uninstallation.
- Click on Tools or the IE menu button, and then select Manage Add-ons.
- In the window, click on Toolbars and Extensions under Add-on Types.
- If there is any add-on that is unfamiliar to you available on the list, select it and click on the Remove button.
- Click on Tools on the menu bar or the Mozilla Firefox menu button in the top right corner of the browser and then select Add-ons.
- In the Add-ons Manager page, click on Extensions on the left side.
- Find any strange add-on that may cause Myluckysites.com browser hijacking and remove it by clicking on Remove button next to it.
- Click on the Chrome menu button in the top right corner of the browser and then select More Tools -> Extensions.
- Find any extension that was installed recently without permission and click chrome-trashcan-icon to remove it.
Step2: Delete Myluckysites.com from your browser homepage/startup page
If the default homepage has been changed by the browser hijacker, you can follow the steps below to reset the homepage in IE, Chrome and Firefox. Sometimes, even if the antivirus program has deleted the virus, you also need to set the homepage to the site you’d like manually.
- Click on the Tools or the IE menu button and choose Internet Options.
- Under the General tab, locate to the Home page field and delete Myluckysites.com if it is there. Then enter the address of the website that you’d like to set as the default homepage instead. Click OK to save the changes.
- Click on Tools or the Firefox menu button in the top right corner of the browser and select Options.
- Click on General on the left side. Under Startup, make sure When Firefox starts: is set to Show my home page. Delete Myluckysites.com from the Home Page field if you see it there. Then enter the address of your preferred website.
- Click on Chrome menu button in the upper right corner of the browser and select Settings.
- Under On startup, select Open a specific page or set of pages and click the Set pages. Delete Myluckysites.com and enter the URL of your preferred page in the blank field and click on OK to save the changes.
- Scroll down to the Appearance section, check Open Homepage button and click on the Change link. If any unwanted URL is displayed there, please delete it by clicking on the “X” button. Then type the address of the website you’d like in the editable field and click on OK button.
Step3: Check your browser’s shortcut path
If the browser hijacker makes some changes in the properties of your browser shortcut, the browser may also be hijacked. To make sure the browser’s shortcut hasn’t been affected, follow the steps below to open the browser properties and delete harmful texts from the Target line.
- Find the IE/Firefox/Chrome browser shortcut on your desktop. Right click on it and select Properties.
- In the Properties window, select the Shortcut tab and ten have a look at the Target line.
By default, the text in Internet Explorer is “C:Program FilesInternet Exploreriexplore.exe”.
Google Chrome is “C:Program FilesGoogleChromeApplicationchrome.exe” (32 bit)
Or “C:Program Files (x86)GoogleChromeApplicationchrome.exe” (64-bit)
Mozilla Firefox is “C:Program FilesMozilla Firefoxfirefox.exe” (32-bit )
Or “C:Program Files (x86)Mozilla Firefoxfirefox.exe” (64-bit).
If you see Myluckysites.com or other strange content in the Target line, please delete them and then click on OK button to save the changes.
Step4: Restore your browser settings to defaults (optional)
If you have followed the steps above to delete Myluckysites.com but it still exists on the PC, you may consider performing a browser restore. When your browser settings are modified by a potentially unwanted program, resetting the browser settings to their original settings usually fix the problem. Please note that this procedure will remove your installed add-ons, toolbars and other customized settings.
Click on Tools or the Tools button and select Internet Options.
Under the Advanced tab, then click on Reset… .
Check the box of Delete personal settings and then click on Reset button.
Click on Close button when the resetting is completed.
Click on Chrome menu button in the upper right corner of the browser and select Settings.
Scroll down to the end of the page and click on the Show Advanced Settings….
Click on Reset browser settings.
Click on Reset button to restore the Chrome’s settings to the original.
Click on Help on the menu bar and select Troubleshoot Information.
Or click on the Firefox menu button in the upper right corner of the browser and then click on the question button then select Troubleshoot Information.
Click on the Refresh Firefox .
Click on Refresh button to confirm the change.
All in all, Myluckysites.com is browser hijacker or a potentially unwanted program that should be removed. This PUP can alter the browser settings like the homepage, new tab or the search engine. The problem is that it not only tampers with your browser settings and forces you to visit specific sites, but also collects your information for commercial purposes. If you keep it on the browser and use it frequently, your browsing experience will be affected and the computer performance may become slow. It’s unhappy to see lots of annoying sponsored advertisements when you do a search on the web. Worse, privacy issues like identity theft might also show up if your personal data is misused by cyber criminals.
Some people find that it’s easy to delete such unwanted items from their PCs. But some fail to eliminate this PUP after having tried many methods. If you also have a problem with removing myluckysites.com by manually resetting the browser settings, try deleting its registry entries using registry editor. But this is complicated and risky for regular computer users. Since wrong deletion of valid registry key may damage the system permanently, we strongly suggest you download and install a Myluckysites.com removal tool to safely and fully remove the malware.