Keep being redirected to rambler.ru and other unwanted pages when you start the web browsers? It seems that your browser is infected with potentially unwanted programs. Follow the manual removal guide in this post or use a specialized malware removal tool to fix the problem now.
What is Rambler.ru?
Rambler.ru is a browser hijacker that may change users’ browser settings and redirect them to unwanted pages. Generally, it may make modifications on the shortcuts of the installed browsers and force users to visit specific websites. The PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) may append the argument http://www.rambler.ru/_openstat% to your browser shortcuts on the desktop or Windows Start Menu. As a result, when you start the affected browsers, the browsers will open a specific page.
The screenshot of the page you may see:
From the screenshot, we can see that the website provides search services and other services and also offer a search box for you to search the web. Similar to Nova.rambler.ru, Yapages.ru and Searchis-cng.ru, the language of the page is Russian. Some advertisements are displayed on the right side. If you type some keyword and do a search with its search engine, you will find many ads related to your search queries appear in front of the search results. Since most browser hijackers are not designed to damage or steal your files, instead, they are created with the purpose of generating revenue for their developers by feeding you ads, redirecting you to a certain page, like in the example above, or installing various useless toolbars and other software on your machine. That’s not weird to see many advertisements show up on your browser when there is a browser hijacker on your computer.
Though the page is not malicious, it’s not suggested that you leave it on the browser or keep using it. The browser hijacker not only makes changes to the default homepage, default search engine and inject lots of unwanted advertising into your browser, but also leads to many other problems. For example, the third party content promoted or displayed by the site may mislead you into downloading and installing useless or even malicious software on your computer. Some external links may redirect you to unverified websites that may steal your information and even result in privacy issues like Identity Theft. Therefore, read the EULAs and privacy policies of the websites or products before you use their services.
How does Rambler.ru enter your PC?
Usually, the browser hijacker can be bundled with free applications on the Internet and get installed on your computer unknowingly. Some browser hijackers also come from add-on/browser extensions, (BHOs) browser helper objects, or toolbars. Often, they may provide you some interactive content, such as animations, to improve your experience on a website. However, some add-on may change your browser internet settings, such as the default homepage, or display content that you don’t want, such as pop-up ads.
The browser hijackers may be also mentioned in certain step during a program installation process. Many users don’t pay much attention to the installation process when they install new software and get used to choosing the recommended installation so as to save time. However, the recommended/Express Install often allows additional items such as the browser hijackers that users have no intention of installing to get installed on their PCs. Therefore, it is necessary to choose the Advanced/Custom Install if there is when installing a program. Uncheck the boxes that accept the additional items to be installed or make changes on your browsers.
In addition, browser hijackers may pretend to be pop-ups on some web pages you visit. Once you click on them, they can be downloaded and installed automatically. Some pop-ups show you the “X” button to close them but sometimes it is actually an “Install” button.
Besides, drive-by downloads and spam emails containing attachments and links can also be used to spread browser hijackers. Thus, please be more careful when surfing the Internet and downloading and installing new programs.
How to get rid of Rambler.ru completely? (Removal Guide)
Some browser hijackers can often be removed easily by uninstalling the relevant programs from PC or resetting the browser settings. But if the browser hijacking issue is caused by a malware infection, you may need to use a specialized tool to deal with it. The steps below show you how to remove the browser hijacker.
Step1: Uninstall suspicious programs from your computer
- Right click on the Start menu in the bottom left corner of the screen. (If you are using Windows 8, press Windows key and then right click on the purple start menu)
- Select Programs and Features from the menu.
- All the currently installed programs will be displayed in the Programs and Features window. Search for the programs or toolbars that may cause the browser hijacking issue, select them and remove them by clicking on Uninstall button.
- Remove the unwanted programs with the given instructions completely.
- Click on Start button and choose Control Panel.
- Click on Uninstall a program under Programs category (View by: Category) or Programs and Features (View by: Large icons). Double click on Add/Remove Programs if you use Windows XP.
- Find the programs or plug-ins that may cause Rambler.ru browser hijacker, select them and uninstall them by clicking on Uninstall or Remove button.
- Follow the instructions to complete the uninstallation.
If you can’t find any suspicious programs in Windows Programs and Features, or fail to uninstall certain unwanted programs, consider using a professional malware removal tool to perform a scan of the system and remove all the infections detected.
Step2: Delete Rambler.ru related items from browser add-ons
- Click on Tools or the IE menu button, and then select Manage Add-ons.
- In the window, click on Toolbars and Extensions under Add-on Types.
- If there is any add-on that is unfamiliar to you available on the list, select it and click on the Remove button.
- Click on Tools on the menu bar or the Mozilla Firefox menu button in the top right corner of the browser and then select Add-ons.
- In the Add-ons Manager page, click on Extensions on the left side.
- Find any strange add-on that may cause Rambler.ru browser hijacking and remove it by clicking on Remove button next to it.
- Click on the Chrome menu button in the top right corner of the browser and then select More Tools -> Extensions.
- Find any extension that was installed recently without permission and click chrome-trashcan-icon to remove it.
Step3: Delete Rambler.ru from browser homepage
If the PUP has modified your browser homepage, follow the guide below to delete the unwanted content and repair the browser settings.
- Click on the Tools or the IE menu button and choose Internet Options.
- Under the General tab, locate to the Home page field and delete Rambler.ru if it is there. Then enter the address of the website that you’d like to set as the default homepage instead. Click OK to save the changes.
- Click on Chrome menu button at the top right corner of the browser window and select Settings.
- Under On startup, select Open a specific page or set of pages and click the Set pages. If Rambler.ru is found, delete it and then enter the URL of your preferred page in the blank field and click on OK to save the changes.
- Under Appearance, check the Open Homepage button and the home icon will appear on the left of the address bar. Click on the Change link. If any unwanted URL is displayed there, please delete it by clicking on the “X” button. Then type the address of the website you’d like in the editable field and click on OK button.
- Click on Tools or the Firefox menu button at the top right corner of the browser window and select Options.
- Click on General. Under Startup, make sure When Firefox starts: is set to Show my home page. Delete Rambler.ru from the Home Page field if you see it there. Then enter the address of your preferred website to make it the default homepage.
Restore your browser settings to defaults (optional)
If you have followed the steps above to delete Rambler.ru but it still exists on the PC, you may consider performing a browser restore. When your browser settings are modified by a potentially unwanted program, resetting the browser settings to their original settings usually fix the problem. Please note that this procedure will remove your installed add-ons, toolbars and other customized settings.
- Click on Tools or the Tools button and select Internet Options.
- Under the Advanced tab, then click on Reset… .
- Check the box of Delete personal settings and then click on Reset button.
- You must restart the computer for these changes to take effect.
- Click on Chrome menu button in the upper right corner of the browser and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on the Show Advanced Settings….
- Click on Reset browser settings.
- Click on Reset button to restore the Chrome’s settings to the original.
- Click on Help on the menu bar and select Troubleshoot Information.
- Or click on the Firefox menu button in the upper right corner of the browser and then click on the question button then select Troubleshoot Information.
- Click on the Refresh Firefox .
- Click on Refresh button to confirm the change.
Step4: Check your browser’s shortcut path
If the browser hijacker makes some changes in the properties of your browser shortcut, the browser may also be hijacked. To make sure the browser’s shortcut hasn’t been affected, follow the steps below to open the browser properties and delete harmful texts from the Target line.
- Find the IE/Firefox/Chrome browser shortcut on your desktop. Right click on it and select Properties.
- In the Properties window, select the Shortcut tab and ten have a look at the Target line. By default, the text in Internet Explorer is “C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe”.
Google Chrome is “C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe” (32 bit)
Or “C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe” (64-bit)
Mozilla Firefox is “C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe” (32-bit )
Or “C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe” (64-bit).
If you see Rambler.ru or other strange content in the Target line, please delete them and then click on OK button to save the changes.
Step5: Download a remover for Rambler.ru
Usually, browser hijackers can be removed from the computer easily. You can delete it by resetting the homepage settings or removing related programs. However, if some browser hijackers are caused by a malware infection, you may fail to remove them even if you have uninstalled suspicious programs or modified the browser settings.If malware modifies the Windows registry or other system settings, you may fail to delete it by simply changing the browser settings. Since it’s complicated and difficult for regular users to make changes in Windows registry, it’s not suggested that you alter the registry yourself if you don’t have much experience in deleting registry entries. Under the circumstances, it’s necessary to use a professional malware removal tool to fix the problem.
SpyHunter is an anti-malware program that is able to find and remove Rambler.ru thoroughly. In addition to browser hijackers, this tool can detect and clear other cyber threats like Trojans, adware, spyware, ransomware and so on. It shows the brief info of the threats found in the scan results and also lists the relevant malicious files. With SpyHunter, you can get rid of the browser hijacker successfully within seconds.
- Download SpyHunter to your computer.
- SpyHunter starts to scan your system for malware. To scan for viruses effectively, you may need to update the tool to the latest version before scanning. To start a new scan, click on Scan Computer Now button. The scanning may take a few minutes to finish.
- Once done, all the threats on your PC will be showed in the scan results. You can see Rambler.ru and other threats which are visible to you but indeed exist on the system.Click on the expand button next to the infection and more details about it will be displayed. To clear them, click on the Fix Threats button.
- SpyHunter is a free virus scanner. You need to purchase its full version to completely wipe out Rambler.ru and other infections.
Rambler.ru is a browser hijacker that may alter the browser settings like the homepage and search engine. This site is not considered malicious but it is not suggested that you keep it on the PC. It tampers with your browser settings and forces you to visit some specified sites and also injects unwanted advertising into your browsers. As a result, your browsing experience will be greatly affected and the computer performance may become slow. It’s unhappy to see lots of annoying sponsored advertisements when you do a search on the web.
Sometimes, the browser hijacker can be removed easily by deleting it from homepage or uninstalling relevant toolbars/add-ons or fixing the browser shortcut. But sometimes it may be stubborn and keep coming back after a browser restart.
Under the circumstances, you need to ensure all the files and registry entries of the PUPs have been deleted. Open Windows registry editor, find and remove malicious registry entries completely. However, this is complicated and risky for regular computer users since wrong deletion of valid registry key may damage the system permanently. Therefore, we strongly suggest you download and install a Rambler.ru removal tool to safely and fully remove the malware.
The following video offers a complete guide for Rambler.ru removal. You’d better watch it in full-screen mode!