Do you find the computer speed becomes strange due to a program called s5Mark or cpx.exe? If you didn’t install that program but it appears on your machine, please get rid of it as soon as possible. The program may install other potentially unwanted programs to your system. This post shows you what s5Mark is and how to remove it completely.
If you can’t wait to clear the unwanted software, go to its removal guide NOW!
What is s5Mark?
“S5mark is a type of web proxy, allowing the user to connect to the Internet through another computer. This may be done because they want to mask their own IP address, or for security purposes because the computer with the Internet connection has better firewall protection (i.e., it doesn’t allow in programs which may damage the computer).” This is the description of s5Mark from its web site. It seems that this program provides anonymous, safe, and fast VPN services with unlimited bandwidth to meets some people’s need to surf the web. However, this program is considered as a potentially unwanted program. It usually gets installed on the computer in deceptive ways and interferes with the computer performance without permission. This program is ad-supported and it may inject various advertisements into web browsers like Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.
Once installed, the program can be set to run automatically when Windows starts. It connects to sites to watch videos and display advertisements constantly so you will find the computer runs sluggishly. If you check Windows Task Manager, multiple cpx.exe processes will be found running there. Those processes occupy a large amount of CPU and, as a result, your other programs may fail to work smoothly. Sometimes your Windows may even free or crash due to this app. Since the program has an effect on bandwidth, your Internet speed may become slow frequently and sometimes it’s difficult to view web pages. In addition, many other potentially unwanted programs might be installed when this software is installed on your PC.
Note: To get rid of unwanted pop-up advertisements and let your computer run smoothly again, we suggest you uninstall s5Mark from the computer as quickly as you can. Have trouble removing the program and other additional adware programs? Try a powerful removal tool.
How to remove s5Mark? (Step-by-step removal guide)
Attention: The manual removal guide below is intended for advanced computer users only. If you find it difficult to perform all steps listed below, we recommend you to use a third-party removal tool to help get rid of the unwanted program easily.
Below is a quick overview of s5Mark removal steps:
- Step1: Uninstall the unwanted program from Control Panel
- Step2: Remove suspicious browser add-ons from browsers
- Step3: Delete leftover files and registry entries of s5Mark
- Step4: Use SpyHunter to remove the adware program
Step1: Uninstall the unwanted program from Control Panel
- Click on Start button at the lower left corner of the desktop and select Settings.
- Go to System and then click Apps & features.
- A list of the apps and programs on your PC will be displayed. To quickly find the adware, you can type the adware name into the search box at the top of the screen or resort the list by name or by install date.
- If s5Mark is found, click it and then click Uninstall button. A pop-up window informing you that the app and its related data will be uninstalled will pop up. Continue to click on Uninstall to complete the process.
- Use Win + X keys to bring up User Powers Menu.
- Click on Programs and Features on the menu and the Programs and Features screen will appear.
- If you see the unwanted program, select it and click on Uninstall button.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the removal.
- Click on Start button and go to Control Panel.
- Click on Programs and Features or Uninstall a program under Programs category according to the view of your Control Panel.
- When all installed programs are displayed, you need to find the unwanted program and click on Uninstall button to remove it.
- Click on Start button and click on Control Panel.
- Double click on Add/Remove Programs.
- A list of programs installed within your system will be showed. Find s5Mark and click on Remove button.
Step2: Remove suspicious browser add-ons from browsers
Since some potential unwanted programs may also install add-ons, plug-ins or toolbars to web browsers, you need to remove those unwanted components to protect the browsers from pop-ups or other unnecessary changes.
Click the gear button or the Tools menu and select “Manage add-ons” to open the Manage Add-ons window.
Click on “Toolbars and Extensions” section of the Manage Add-ons window. Add-ons that are currently installed will be displayed on the right.
Find the add-on or toolbar related to s5Mark, select it and click on Disable or Remove button.
Click the Chrome Menu button (☰) in the upper-right corner of the browser window.
From the drop-down menu, choose “More tools” -> “Extensions” to open the Extensions tab.
A list of all your installed extensions will be displayed. Scroll through the list to find the suspicious one you need to remove. Click the Trashcan button to completely remove it.
Click on Tools on the menu bar or the Firefox Menu button (☰) in the upper right corner of the browser.
Choose “Add-ons” from the drop-down menu
Click the “Extensions” tab on the left and a list of all your installed add-ons will be showed.
Click the “Remove” button next to the add-on that is related to the unwanted program.
Click the Opera menu in the upper-right corner of the browser window.
From the pull-down menu, select “Extensions” -> “Extensions manager” to open the Extensions tab.
Find s5Mark and click the “Disable” button or click the “X” in the upper-right corner to remove it. You’ll be asked to confirm that you want to uninstall the extension.
Click the “Safari” menu button on the top right of the browser and select “Preferences” to open the Preferences window.
In the window, click the “Extensions” tab and a list of your installed add-ons will be displayed on the left side.
Select the extension associated with the adware and click on Uninstall button.
Step3: Delete leftover files and registry entries of s5Mark
Even though you have uninstalled s5Mark using Control Panel, some files of this program might still remain in a few system folders. Follow the steps below to clear the leftover files.
- Go to Program Files folder, find any folder with the name of the unwanted software and delete it.
- Go to Application Data folder, find any folder with the name of the unwanted software and delete it.
In addition, its entry in Windows Registry is not deleted by the uninstaller. To completely uninstall the software, you’ll also need to delete its key from Windows Registry. To do this, follow the steps below:
Click on the “Start” menu, click on “Run” then type “regedit” in the box then press Enter to open Registry Editor.
Or you can type “regedit” in the Start Menu search box and then open regedit.exe in the search results. Windows registry editor will open.
- Click on the “+” sign that corresponds to the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” hive.
- Expand the following sub-folders: “SOFTWARE” > “Microsoft” > “Windows” > “CurrentVersion” > “Uninstall” folder.
- Locate the sub-key or folder that corresponds to s5Mark’s leftover program files, within the “Uninstall” folder.
- Right-click on the sub-key (folder) or values (files) which is associated with the unwanted software and then select “Delete” from the drop-down menu.
- Restart your computer.
Warning: This step is risky and you’d better make a backup of the information that you need to delete before making any modification. If any invalid or vital registry information is deleted incorrectly, your system will be damaged and it may even stop working. If you don’t feel comfortable deleting the leftover registry key of s5Mark manually, we suggest you use a professional third-party removal tool to get rid of unwanted files automatically and quickly.
Step4: Use SpyHunter to remove the adware program
SpyHunter is able to detect and remove malware including adware, spyware, Trojans, rootkits and other cyber threats with industry-leading technology. It can scan for all the files and registry entries of the potentially unwanted program and clear all of them completely. If you still fail to get rid of s5Mark after following all the steps above, follow the guide below to automatically remove the adware by using SpyHunter:
- Make sure that both its product version and DB version are the newest versions before scanning your system. Close all running files, folders and applications and then click Scan Computer Now button to scan your PC.
- The scanning usually takes several minutes to complete. The scanning may be displayed as the image below:
- When the scan is complete, all the items associated with the adware will be displayed in the search results. Click on Fix Threats to remove all of them. (Note: You need to register for the full version of SpyHunter so as to completely delete the threats.)
How to prevent such unwanted programs in the future?
s5Mark can be bundled with other free applications on the Internet and get into the computer silently. Product Bundling is a smart strategy. “Bundling is a rather easy way of putting new product offerings together to complement the product line. There’s more potential to get it right than to get it wrong.” Bundled software can also be part of a software package. For example, Microsoft Windows comes with many bundled software tools. When you download a desired free application from the web and install it on the PC, please pay attention to every step of its installation process so as to decline those “special offers”. If there are Express Install and Custom Install, you should always choose Custom Install so as to cancel the installation of unwanted additional software.
In addition, be careful about the files you download and run. Avoid downloading and installing pirated software and never visit malicious websites. Don’t open the attachments or links in the emails sent by strangers until you ensure that they are 100 percent safe. Keep your software and your Windows updated and uninstall vulnerable software like Java. This can also help prevent malware.
Moreover, keep an advanced antivirus-spyware program and a firewall on the PC. Anti-virus software is your final layer of protection. It is able to protect your computer from malware – keyloggers, Trojans, rootkits, and all sorts of other bad things effectively. When you’re viewing dangerous websites, the antivirus can provide real-time protection and block some harmful program that attempt to get installed on your system.
Do you still have difficulty in uninstalling s5Mark? Take it easy. Download and install a professional malware removal tool right now!
The following video offers a complete guide for s5Mark/cpx.exe Adware removal. You’d better watch it in full-screen mode!