This morning, I found all of my browsers have been hijacked by Safebrowsing.biz. Is it virus or malware? I couldn’t get rid of it from my web browser. It always redirects me to the specific sites where look like the malicious one. I uninstall my Google Chrome and reinstall it on my PC. But this way can’t help to remove the annoying homepage http://safebrowsing.biz/. I run my antivirus software to scan the computer but nothing detected. I navigate to the control panel and want to uninstall suspicious programs but nothing dubious programs can be found. How should I do? Any help? I run Windows XP.
What is Safebrowsing.biz?
Recently, many users’ PCs infected with Safebrowsing.biz virus. Although it provides a quick access to the famous social networking sites (Facebook, Twitter, etc) and the shopping websites (Amazon, eBay, etc), it is not reliable search engine that you can trust. Not like the regular search engine Google, Bing, or Yahoo, it is classified as a browser hijacker. Once your computer gets infected with it, both your default homepage and search engine are replaced with its own domain http://safebrowsing.biz. It means that you are forced to use the unreliable search tool to search information every time you browse the web. Don’t expect you can get the accurate search results that it promise to you, in reality it has nothing to offer in addition to the malicious links and the annoying pop up ads. Through modifying your browser settings, it can stubbornly redirect you to the unsafe websites that you have no intention of visiting. In the process of using this trustless search engine, you may find that lots of virulent bookmarks about porn websites are added to your bookmark collection, which will generate pornographic pop-up adware and spyware. Furthermore, by adding the malicious browser extensions/plug-ins to your web browsers and dropping misleading shortcut on the Desktop, the browser hijacker can take a full control of your Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer.
I advise you not to click any suspicious pop up links and ads showing you software updates brought by Safebrowsing.biz. Please note that the false software updates mainly used for spreading malicious programs. Be careful. Download any virus-free software updates should be from trusted website. Most browser hijackers may monitor your browsing history and collect your sensitive data for illegal purpose when you surf the internet. Therefore, please remember not to reveal your personal information (Credit card details, passwords, login name, e-mail address, etc) to the suspicious websites that you are redirected to.
Browser hijacker like Safebrowsing.biz is more likely to be installed on computer by bundling with freeware installation. Browser hijacker is usually hidden under the Advanced or Custom installation or mentioned in the user agreement. Many users often ignore reading the installation step carefully and hurry to click Next button. Thus, lots of malicious programs are installed on computer without any permission. To avoid installing malware, computer experts always advise users to read the EULA with care. Click the advanced option to check what additional programs you are going to install except for the chosen software. It is a good way to block any malicious programs entering your computer. Well, a browser hijacker may also be installed on computer through infected e-mails, a file share, or drive-by-download. Therefore, be cautious about the e-mails from unknown sources. It is reported that many users’ PCs get infected with malware due to they randomly open the e-mail attachments from unknown sender.
E-mail is an important way to transmit files to another user via Internet. However, it is also a popular way for hackers to send junk emails or infected emails to users. If you receive unsolicited emails from unknown senders, check with your antivirus software before opening it. These emails may contain the specific links to malicious websites or phising sites. Phising website is specially designed to steal money. Cybercriminals can do this by installing malicious software on your computer or stealing personal information off of your computer. Some of them may have attachments that contain malicious software like adware, spyware, Trojans, keyloggers, etc. Many users don’t know how to recognize these emails. Don’t worry, I show you now. A suspicious or malicious email is typically marked with “Big Prize”, “call to action” or “payment invoices” to induce recipients to open it. If you want to know more about how to recognize the malicious emails, click this link.
How to remove Safebrowsing.biz permanently
Please follow the guide below to permanently remove Safebrowsing.biz from your computer. The browser hijacker modifies your browser settings, replaces your default homepage and search engine. To completely get rid of it, you should be extremely careful to do the following manual steps. If you are not skilled at dealing with computer issues, we advise you to use a professional malware removal tool.
Please note that the removal tool we recommend to you is specially designed to help users easily and safely remove malware & virus, also, help to completely clean all the malicious files and registry entries created by them within a few minutes. Using a professional remover to get rid of malicious program is more effective than the complicated and time-consuming manual removal.
Safebrowsing.biz manual removal guide
Step1. Reboot in Safe Mode
If your computer can’t normally reboot, you can try the step to launch your computer. The step mainly helps diagnose the computer problem.
If you are Window XP/7/Vista user, see the guide below.
- Launch your PC , continuously press F8 key on the keyboard as soon as the computer starts booting.
- Select Safe Mode under Advanced Boot Options, then press Enter key.
If you are Windows 8/8.1/10 user, see the guide below.
- Move your cursor to the left bottom of your screen, right-click Start menu when the tab shows up, then select Control Panel from the list (For Windows 8/8.1 user). Right-click the icon located in the left bottom of the screen, then select Control Panel (For Windows 10 user).
- Click System and Security > Administrative Tools.
- Double-click System Configuration.
- When a window pops up, click Boot button, check the Safe boot box and tick the Minimal, after that, click OK button.
- After a message box pops up, click Restart button.
If you want to restore normal start, uncheck the Safe boot after you successfully get rid of Safebrowsing.biz virus.
Step2. Remove Safebrowsing.biz from IE/Firefox/Chrome.
Remove suspicious plug-ins
- Open Internet Explorer, click the gear icon at the upper right corner and select Manage Add-ons.
- Look for any suspicious plug-ins, then click Disable button to remove them.
- After that, click Search Providers tab on the left. First, choose a desired search engine as your default, then remove the unwanted one by clicking Remove button.
Remove Safebrowsing.biz homepage
- Click the gear icon (top right corner), then choose Internet options from the list.
- Remove the malicious URL http://safebrowsing.biz…/and enter a preferable web address as your new homepage or you can choose Use new tab. Click Apply → OK button.
Reset Internet Explorer
- Click the gear icon at the top right corner, then select Internet options.
- Click the Advanced tab (Top right corner), then click Reset button.
- When a window pops up as shown below, check Delete personal settings box and click Reset button.
- Click Close button to complete the operation.
- Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
Remove malicious add-ons
- Open Mozilla Firefox, click the menu icon located in the top right corner, then choose Add-ons.
- Look for any malicious add-ons related to Safebrowsing.biz, then click Remove button to delete them.
Remove Safebrowsing.biz homepage
- Click the menu icon at the top right corner of Firefox, then select Options.
- In the General window, remove the malicious URL http://safebrowsing.biz…/and type a preferable web address as your new homepage. Or you can choose a blank page as new.
- Don’t leave the page, now switch to click Search tab on the left. Then click the inverted triangle icon to choose your preferable default search engine such as Google.
- After that, scroll down your mouse, look for any malicious search engines, select them and click Remove button to wipe out it.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
- Click the menu icon at the top right corner of Firefox, then click the help icon at the lower right corner.
- Select Troubleshooting Information from the list.
- Click Refresh Firefox button after a window pops up.
- When a message box appears as shown below, click Refresh Firefox button.
- Restart your computer to save the change.
Remove malicious extensions
- Click the menu icon (at the upper right corner of Chrome), then select More tools → Extensions.
- In the Extensions window, search for any suspicious extensions related to Safebrowsing.biz and click the trash bin to delete them.
Remove Safebrowsing.biz homepage
- Stay on the Extensions page, now switch to click Settings. Then click Set pages.
- Click X icon to delete the malicious URL http://safebrowsing.biz…/and type another desired URL into the box as your startup page and click OK button.
- Now, click Change link.
- Delete the malicious homepage http://safebrowsing.biz…/. You can choose Use the New Tab page and click OK button.
- Return to your Settings page, scroll down your mouse and click Manage search engines button.
- First, you need to choose your preferable default search engine by clicking Make default which shows in the end. Then, find out malicious search engine and click X icon to remove it. After finishing the operation, click Done button in the bottom right corner.
Reset Google Chrome
- Go back to your Settings page. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, find out Show advanced settings link and click it.
- Continue to scroll down to the bottom of the page. Find out Reset settings button and click it.
- When a dialog box pops up, click Reset button.
- Restart your PC to save the change.
Step3. Delete Safebrowsing.biz from IE/Firefox/Chrome Shortcut.
For Internet Explorer user
Right-click the IE shortcut on your Desktop or Taskbar, then select Properties.
- Remove http://safebrowsing.biz/argument in the Target filed, then click Apply → OK button.
For Mozilla Firefox user
- Right-click your Firefox shortcut on Desktop or Taskbar and choose Properties.
- In the Target filed, delete http://safebrowsing.biz/ argument, then click Apply → OK button.
For Google Chrome user
- Right-click Chrome shortcut on your Desktop or Taskbar and select Properties from the list.
- In the Target field, remove everything after .exe, then click Apply → OK button.
Step4. Delete the malicious registry entries created by Safebrowsing.biz
Open your Registry Editor
- Simultaneously press Windows + R key on the keyboard.
- Then a dialog box will pop up as shown below. Type regedit into the box and click OK button.
- In the Registry Editor window, simultaneously press Ctrl + F key on the keyboard. Then a dialog box will pop up. Type Safebrowsing.biz into the box and click Find Next button.
- Delete all the registry entries related to Safebrowsing.biz virus.
Compared to the above manual steps, this step is the most complex and troublesome. You need to constantly repeat the operation until you have removed all the malicious entries related to the virus. Usually, the browser hijacker is stubborn and it often conceals its files with different names to avoid being deleted by the manual step. If you are a computer novice or inexperienced computer user, don’t try this step. Any simple mistake may cause a serious computer issue. Please know that Registry is a core of computer. It stores lots of important system information and settings. If you make a mistake, you may ruin the whole system permanently. So think twice before performing the step.
To avoid further damage, it is highly recommended using a professional malware removal tool – SpyHunter
What is SpyHunter?
SpyHunter is a powerful anti-malware removal tool certified by West Coast Lab’s Checkmark Certification program (A highly regarded independent security and product testing service). With its advanced technology, SpyHunter can quickly detect, remove and block browser hijacker, adware, spyware, rootkits, keyloggers, Trojans, worms and other types of malware. In addition, its system guard function will identify and stop any processes that attempt to secretly auto-start malware entries by exploring the Windows Registry. With the help of SpyHunter, Safebrowsing.biz virus will be permanently removed from your PC. Look at the image below, Safebrowsing.biz is quickly detected by SpyHunter.
>> Download the Best Malware Remover by clicking the button below.
Operating Systems Supported: WindowsXP/7/Vista/8/10
- Once finished downloading, click Run button.
- Choose the language you prefer and click OK button.
- Click CONTINUE to go on.
- Now SpyHunter is installing. Please wait for a moment.
- Click FINISH button to finish SpyHunter installation.
- Launch SpyHunter to have a full scan of your PC by clicking Scan Computer Now.
- You can see that Safebrowsing.com virus is quickly detected by SpyHunter.
- Once finished scanning, please click Fix Threats button to remove all detected threats.
Note: SpyHunter’s free version only provides free scan and detection to your PC. To get rid of this browser hijacker and other potential threats, you need to purchase the full version of SpyHunter.
Hackers and cybercriminals are always coming up with all kinds of nasty ways (email you, sponsored links, freeware, etc) to trick you into installing malicious software or handing over your personal information. Don’t be afraid! Here are some tips to protect you from malware attacks.
Never open email attachments which look suspicious or from unknown senders.
Never click suspicious sponsored links showing on your page.
Select Advanced or Custom installation instead of Express, Default, Quick (Recommended) when installing freeware. Don’t check any additional software you don’t expect to install.
Keep a real-time Antivirus Software on your PC and update it regularly.
Have you totally removed Safebrowsing.biz virus from your PC? If no, download the powerful removal tool to help you get rid of the browser hijacker from computer easily and completely.
The following video offers a complete guide for Safebrowsing.biz Redirect Virus removal. You’d better watch it in full-screen mode!