The default homepage of my IE got hijacked by Searchinme.com. Yesterday I was googling some information for PC cleanup tools and I landed on a random website. I clicked a pop-up advertisement on the page and all of sudden something started to download. I closed the site immediately and I wasn’t sure what happened. Now every time I start IE and Searchinme.com loads automatically as the default startup page/homepage. It’s weird because I’ve never visited the site before. I’ve tried resetting the IE homepage but it didn’t work. The security software also detects nothing. Any suggestion will be appreciated!
What is Searchinme.com?
Similar to Search-shield.com, Safesurfs.net and Startgo123.com, Searchinme.com is also considered as a browser hijacker. By being bundled with free downloads from the Internet, the browser hijacker can get into your PC and alter browser settings like the default homepage and the default search engine to its own. In addition, it may bring a lot of advertisements when you use the affected web browsers including Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome and other popular browsers.
Usually, the following symptoms may occur if your browser is hijacked:
- The homepage of your browser is replaced with another site that you never intended to visit
- Your search engine is changed to another one and the search results often contain many ads
- Certain unwanted toolbars or bookmarks are added to the browser without your permission
- The browser sometimes freezes or crashes and web pages load very slowly
- Some unknown apps appear on the PC and your PC performance becomes slower than usual
Once infected, your browser may redirect you to the unexpected site rather than the original homepage/startup page. The site looks like a real search engine and provides you with quick links to some popular sites including Yahoo, FaceBook, Twitter, Amazon, Linkein and MSN, etc.
Screenshot of Searchinme.com:
Note: To protect your computer and prevent further damage, we suggest you remove Searchinme.com as soon as possible. Have tried resetting browser settings and other manual methods but the browser hijacker still comes back? You may need to download and install a powerful malware removal tool now!
Tips to prevent Searchinme.com and other potentially unwanted programs:
Usually, potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) like browser hijackers can be installed on the PC as a part of freeware from the Internet. In addition, it can be distributed via drive-by downloads, spam email attachments and file-sharing sites. To avoid the PUPs, here are several useful suggestions:
☑ Always choose the Advanced/Custom Installation. When downloading and installing a free application from the web, be cautious because some unwanted additional items may be contained during the installation process. If you install it in a hurry without paying attention to those “special offers”, many unwanted items may be installed on the PC.
☑ Read the EULAs carefully. Some PUPs are hidden in the End User License Agreements. If you don’t read the EULAs when installing a program, some unwanted programs might be installed on your PC unknowingly once you accept the agreements.
☑ Make sure all your software are updated. Outdated software may contain vulnerability that could be exploited by hackers to attack your system or install malware. Thus, keep your Windows, web browsers, security software and other installed programs up-to-date.
☑ Keep an advanced and powerful anti-virus program, like SpyHunter Anti-malware, on the PC. It can detect and remove malicious threats from your PC and safeguard the system against various malware infections.
Searchinme.com browser hijacker removal instructions:
Note: The following steps show you how to get rid of the browser hijacker completely. If you have tried manual methods like uninstalling suspicious programs, removing unknown browser extensions, reset the browser homepage and search engine, reset the browser settings or even reinstalling the browser but the site keeps coming back, we suggest you try a Searchinme.com automatic removal tool to fix the problem effectively.
Option1: Run SpyHunter anti-malware to remove Searchinme.com completely (Recommended)
SpyHunter is able to find and remove all the traces of the browser hijacker as well as other threats on your PC entirely. With advanced technology, it can detect malware including Trojans, worms, rootkits, spyware and potentially unwanted programs that may harm the system. If a threat can’t be remove manually, you can try SpyHunter and it will do the trick within a few clicks of the mouse.
To do that, follow the steps to install SpyHunter and perform a scan of the system:
➤ 1. Download SpyHunter to your PC by clicking on the button below.
➤ 3. Usually, the tool will automatically scan your system after the installation is successful. To effectively scan and clear the infections, you can check the version of the product version and the DB version. Make sure they are the latest version and then click on Scan Computer Now button to start the scanning. To quickly scan the PC, close all running programs and files before scanning.
➤ 4. SpyHunter starts to scan the system files, drivers, registry keys and other data. This may take you several minutes.
➤ 5. When the scanning is completed, Searchinme.com and other threats are displayed in the scan results. The tool shows brief info of the threats and lists all the traces of them. Click on Fix Threats button to clear all the threats detected on your PC. Make sure that you have purchased the full version of SpyHunter.
➤ 6. After the browser hijacker has been removed, you may need to set the default homepage and other settings to what you want. Read on and learn how to repair the browser settings.
Option2: Remove Searchinme.com manually from the PC
Sometimes, some browser hijackers can be removed by hand and the browser settings can be reversed easily. The instructions below show you how to remove the hijackware manually when you experience them.
Step1: Uninstall suspicious programs from Windows
- Click on the Start button in the lower left corner and then click on the Settings in the menu.
- Click on the System in the Settings screen.
- Click on App & features on the left side and all the installed programs will be displayed.
- Find any unfamiliar program which was installed recently without permission and click on Uninstall button.
- A pop-up will appear. Click on Uninstall button to confirm the removal.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to remove it completely.
- Press Win + X to bring up the Power user Menu.
- Click Programs and Features on the menu.
- All the installed apps will be displayed in the Programs and Features screen.
- Find and select the program associated Searchinme.com, and then click Uninstall button.
- Follow the instructions given to complete the uninstallation.
- Click on Start button and click on Control Panel.
- For Windows 7/Vista, click on Uninstall a program under Programs category (View by: Category) or Programs and Features (View by: Large icons). For Windows XP, double click on Add/Remove Programs.
- A list of all installed programs will be showed. Find the recently installed unwanted program which are strange to you and click on Uninstall button or Remove button.
Step2. Remove Searchinme.com from Internet Explorer
- Click on Tools or the IE menu (gear icon) button, and then click Manage Add-ons from the menu.
- In the Manage Add-ons window, select Toolbars and Extensions under Add-on Types.
- Find any new add-on that is unfamiliar to you and click on Remove button.
- Click on the Tools or the IE menu icon (gear icon) and click Internet Options.
- In the Internet Options window, under the General tab, check Home page field and delete Searchinme.com if it is found there. Then enter the address of the website that you’d like to set as the default homepage instead. Click OK to save the changes.
- Click on Tools on the menu bar or the IE menu icon (gear icon) and select Manage add-ons.
- In the Manage Add-ons window, select Search Providers under Add-on Types. If any unwanted search engine is listed there, select it and click Remove button and then click Close. Choose a search engine and you want and click Set as default to set it as the default search provider.
If the steps above can’t remove Searchinme.com from IE, you may consider resetting IE settings to defaults to fix the issue.
- Click the Tools button or the IE menu icon and then select Internet options.
- In the Internet Options window, under the Advanced tab, click Reset.
- In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset button.
- When Internet Explorer finishes applying default settings, click Close. You may need to restart the PC to reset IE completely.
Step3. Remove Searchinme.com from Google Chrome
- Click on the Chrome menu icon in the top right corner of the browser and then select More Tools then Extensions.
- In the Chrome Extensions page, find any extension related to the browser hijacker or strange to you and click chrome-trashcan-icon to remove it.
- Click on Chrome menu button and select Settings from the menu.
- Under On startup, select Open a specific page or set of pages and click the Set pages. Delete Searchinme.com and enter the URL of your preferred page in the blank field and click on OK to save the changes.
- Scroll down to Appearance, check Open Homepage button and click on Change link. If the unwanted URL is displayed there, please delete it by clicking on the “X” button.
- Go to the Search section in the Chrome Settings page, click on the arrow button and select the search engine that you want. It will become you default search engine.
- To delete the unwanted search engine, click on Manage search engines… link. Delete the search engine you want to remove by clicking on the “X” icon. Click on OK button to save the changes.
If the steps above can’t remove Searchinme.com from IE, you can try restoring Chrome settings to defaults to solve the problem.
- Click on the chrome menu icon and then select Settings from the menu.
- In the Chrome Settings page, click on Show Advanced Settings… at the bottom of the page and then click on Reset browser settings.
- Click on Reset button when the dialog box asking for your confirmation pops up.
Step4. Remove Searchinme.com from Mozilla Firefox
- Click on Tools on the menu bar or the Mozilla Firefox menu in the top right of the browser and then select Add-ons from the menu.
- In the Add-ons Manager page, select Extensions on the left side.
- Delete any dubious add-on by clicking on Remove button next to it.
- Click on Tools or the Firefox menu and select Options from the menu.
- In the Options page, select the General on the left side. Under Startup, make sure When Firefox starts: is set to Show my home page. If Searchinme.com is found in the Home Page field, delete it and then enter the address of your preferred page.
- Click on Search on the left side of the Options page. Under Default Search Engines section, select the one you’d like to set as the default search engine by clicking on the arrow icon.
- To delete the unwanted search engine, under One-click search engines section, select the one you want to remove and click on Remove button. Close the page and the changes will be saved.
If the steps above can’t remove Searchinme.com from Firefox, you may consider resetting Firefox settings to default settings to troubleshoot.
- Click on Firefox menu icon and click Open Help menu (question mark icon) at the bottom of the menu and then select Troubleshooting Information.
Or you can click on Help on the menu bar and select Troubleshooting Information.
- In the Firefox Troubleshooting Information page, click on Fresh Firefox… button.
- Click on Refresh Firefox button again in the pop-up window to restore the settings of Firefox.
With the steps above, Searchinme.com should be removed from your PC now. Sometimes, your browser target filed might be hijacked by the browser hijacker. In addition to the manual steps above mentioned, you can also open your browser properties by right clicking on the IE/Chrome/Firefox shortcut icon on the desktop -> selecting Properties. Under the Shortcut tab, make sure there are no strange texts like Searchinme.com in the Target field. If any is found, delete it and click on OK button. We strongly suggest you download and install a powerful malware removal tool to deal with such annoying and stubborn cyber threats quickly and completely.
The following video offers a complete guide for Searchinme.com Redirect Virus removal. You’d better watch it in full-screen mode!