My PC got hit by a browser hijacker which has set my Chrome start page to Socopoco.com. Every time I start Chrome browser, I end up on a search page with a built-in search box titled Socopoco. The virus also changes my default search from Google to Yahoo. I have tried multiple virus scans and other cleaner software to no avail. AdwCleaner found nothing except a bunch of tracking cookies, which I had it deleted. Does anyone know of a way to stop the hijacking by Socopoco.com?
If your browser is hijacked but you don’t know how to fix the problem, read on and follow the guide in this post to remove Socopoco.com completely. This post provides description of the threat and detailed steps to clean up the infections.
What is Socopoco.com?
Socopoco is an application that claims to provide you search services and enhance your browsing experience. However, this program is considered as a potentially unwanted program. It is usually downloaded and installed on the PC by being bundled with other freeware. It can be hidden in the software packages or installers with checkboxes that allow users to decide to install or not during setup. If you don’t pay much attention to the software setup, unwanted programs like this will get the opportunity to enter your machine. It may be installed itself to the Internet browsers including Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome as a browser extension or add-on. Browser settings including the default homepage, default search engine, new tab and other settings may be changed by the PUP. Every time you start the affected browsers, the page below may loads automatically in a new tab or as your homepage/startup page:
The page allows you to do a search like other famous search providers, such as Google and Bing. However, like other browser hijackers, such as Socopoco.com, Coolsearch.Info and Excellentsearch.org, this PUP is mainly used to display advertising and generate revenue for its developers. If your default search engine is Google, you will find the search results are provides by Yahoo rather Google. In addition, many advertisements related to what you searched for will be displayed in the search results.
Screenshot of the ads in the search results:
Please note that you click on or visit the third-party content such as the ads and the links promoted or displayed by Socopoco at your own risk and it won’t be responsible for the privacy practices of any such third parties. You need to be cautious when surfing the Internet and check the privacy policies of the third party sites before giving your personal data. Otherwise, your personal privacy may be violated and serious problems like Identity Theft may occur. Moreover, be careful of those pop-up ads because some of them may redirect you to harmful websites that may download and install malware to your computer.
The browser hijacker usually provides you nothing helpful and displays a lot of sponsored ads in the search results. Please remove it from the PC as soon as possible. Can’t find effective way to delete it? Wish to get rid of it at once? Download a remover for Socopoco now!
How to avoid PUPs like Socopoco?
Since the browser hijacking is usually caused by potentially unwanted programs or toolbars/ plug-ins, you need to know how those PUPs enter PC so that find out the effective methods to prevent them from getting installed on the PC without your knowledge. As mentioned above, Socopoco is usually bundled with other free applications. As an undesirable and potentially unwanted program but not a virus, Socopoco may not be picked up by your regular security software. In this case, what you need to prevent such unwanted items is care and attention.
When you download and install free software, please always read each step of the installer carefully and uncheck any necessary boxes. Always choose the Custom installation rather than the Recommended/Typical installation if you’re offered a choice because some unwanted browser add-ons or other unwanted items are usually hidden in the Recommended installation. You need to uncheck all tickboxes in software installers to cancel the installations of PUPs.
Sometimes, PUPs are mentioned in the EULAs and you can’t opt out. You need to read the EULAs carefully and DO NOT click on “I agree”, “Continue” or “Next” blindly. If any unwanted items are found in the agreements, you just simply close the installer and look for another program that won’t foist such programs on you.
Alternatively, install an advanced antimalware program to block PUPs and malware and prevent them from altering your browser settings and other system settings.
Socopoco.com manual removal guide
Step1: Remove Socopoco or other unwanted software from Windows Control Panel
- Right click on the Start menu in the bottom left corner of the screen. (If you are using Windows 8, press Windows key and then right click on the purple start menu)
- Select Programs and Features from the menu.
- All the currently installed programs will be displayed in the Programs and Features window. Search for Socopoco or other programs that may cause the browser hijacking issue, select them and remove them by clicking on Uninstall button.
- Remove the unwanted programs with the given instructions completely.
- Click on Start button and choose Control Panel.
- Click on Uninstall a program under Programs category (View by: Category) or Programs and Features (View by: Large icons). Double click on Add/Remove Programs if you use Windows XP.
- Find the programs or plug-ins that may cause Socopoco.com browser hijacker, select them and uninstall them by clicking on Uninstall or Remove button.
- Follow the instructions to complete the uninstallation.
Note: Sometimes Socopoco may not show up in Programs and Features. You may need to check the browser extensions and disable or remove any suspicious. If other unwanted applications installed without your permission are found in the add/remove programs list, remove them immediately. Fail to remove them? Use a professional removal tool now.
Step2: Remove Socopoco.com from Internet Explorer
- Click on Tools or the IE menu button, and then select Manage Add-ons.
- In the window, click on Toolbars and Extensions under Add-on Types.
- If Socopoco or other add-on that is unfamiliar to you available on the list, select it and click on the Remove button.
- Click on the Tools or the IE menu button and choose Internet Options.
- Under the General tab, locate to the Home page field and delete Socopoco.com if it is there. Then enter the address of the website that you’d like to set as the default homepage instead. Click OK to save the changes.
- Find the IE browser shortcut on your desktop. Right click on it and select Properties.
7. In the Properties window, select the Shortcut tab and ten have a look at the Target line. By default, the text in Internet Explorer is “C:Program FilesInternet Exploreriexplore.exe”.
If you see Socopoco.com or other strange content in the Target line, please delete them and then click on OK button to save the changes.
Step3: Remove Socopoco.com from Google Chrome
- Click on the Chrome menu button in the top right corner of the browser and then select More Tools -> Extensions.
- Find Socopoco or other extensions that were installed recently without permission and click chrome-trashcan-icon to remove it.
- Click on Chrome menu button at the top right corner of the browser window and select Settings.
- Under On startup, select Open a specific page or set of pages and click the Set pages. If Socopoco.com is found, delete it and then enter the URL of your preferred page in the blank field and click on OK to save the changes.
- Under Appearance, check the Open Homepage button and the home icon will appear on the left of the address bar. Click on the Change link. If any unwanted URL is displayed there, please delete it by clicking on the “X” button. Then type the address of the website you’d like in the editable field and click on OK button.
- Find the Chrome browser shortcut on your desktop. Right click on it and select Properties.
- In the Properties window, select the Shortcut tab and ten have a look at the Target line. By default, the text in Google Chrome is “C:Program FilesGoogleChromeApplicationchrome.exe” (32 bit) or “C:Program Files (x86)GoogleChromeApplicationchrome.exe” (64-bit)
- If you see Socopoco.com or other strange content in the Target line, please delete them and then click on OK button to save the changes.
Step4: Remove Socopoco.com from Mozilla Firefox
- Click on Tools on the menu bar or the Mozilla Firefox menu button in the top right corner of the browser and then select Add-ons.
- In the Add-ons Manager page, click on Extensions on the left side.
- Find Socopoco or any other strange add-on and remove it by clicking on Remove button next to it.
- Click on Tools or the Firefox menu button at the top right corner of the browser window and select Options.
- Click on General. Under Startup, make sure When Firefox starts: is set to Show my home page. Delete Socopoco.com from the Home Page field if you see it there. Then enter the address of your preferred website to make it the default homepage.
- Find the Firefox browser shortcut on your desktop. Right click on it and select Properties.
- In the Properties window, select the Shortcut tab and ten have a look at the Target line. By default, the text in Mozilla Firefox is “C:Program FilesMozilla Firefoxfirefox.exe” (32-bit ) or “C:Program Files (x86)Mozilla Firefoxfirefox.exe” (64-bit). If you see Socopoco.com or other strange content in the Target line, please delete them and then click on OK button to save the changes.
Automatically remove Socopoco.com from your PC (Recommended)
Usually, browser hijackers can be removed from the computer easily. You can delete it by just resetting the homepage settings or removing related programs. However, if the browser hijacking issue is caused by a malware infection, you may fail to remove them even if you have uninstalled suspicious programs or modified the browser settings.
If malware modifies the Windows registry or other system settings, you may fail to delete it by simply changing the browser settings. Since it’s complicated and difficult for regular users to make changes in Windows registry, it’s not suggested that you alter the registry yourself if you don’t have much experience in deleting registry entries. Under the circumstances, it’s necessary to use a professional malware removal tool to fix the problem.
SpyHunter is an anti-malware program that is able to find and remove Socopoco.com thoroughly. In addition to browser hijackers, this tool can detect and clear other cyber threats like Trojans, adware, spyware, ransomware and so on. It shows the brief info of the threats found in the scan results and also lists the relevant malicious files. With SpyHunter, you can get rid of the browser hijacker successfully within seconds.
- Download SpyHunter to your computer.
- SpyHunter starts to scan your system for malware. To scan for viruses effectively, you may need to update the tool to the latest version before scanning. To start a new scan, click on Scan Computer Now button. The scanning may take a few minutes to finish.
- Once done, all the threats on your PC will be showed in the scan results. You can see Socopoco.com and other threats which are visible to you but indeed exist on the system. Click on the expand button next to the infection and more details about it will be displayed. To clear them, click on the Fix Threats button.
- SpyHunter is a free virus scanner. You need to purchase its full version to completely wipe out Socopoco.com and other infections.
Plumbytes is a tool that detects and annoying browser toolbars or extensions, spyware, hijackers like Socopoco.com, ad injects and other types of malware. This tool is good at restoring your hijacked browser, search engine, and home page, and constantly monitoring your computer’s security. If your browser is hijacked, follow the steps below to fix it by using Plumbytes.
- Click here to download Plumbytes.
- Run the downloaded file to start the installation. Follow the instructions on the screen complete the installation. The installation process usually takes merely a few seconds.
- Once installed, Plumbytes starts to scan your system for malware automatically. The scanning may last for several minutes.
- When the scan is completed, all the threats on your PC are displayed in the scan results. You can see Socopoco.com and other threats are showed there. To clear the infections and protect your PC, click on the REMOVE SELECTED button.
- This is also a free malware detection utility. You need to purchase its full version to completely clear all the infections.
Socopoco.com is a potentially unwanted program or browser hijacker that can change the browser settings like the homepage, new tab or the search engine. This site is not a virus but it is not suggested that you keep it on the PC. Browser hijackers not only tamper with your browser settings and display advertising, but also put your personal data at risk.
To protect your computer, browser hijackers should be removed from the PC completely. If your computer has such PUPs installed, your browsing experience may be affected and the computer performance may become slow. Lots of annoying sponsored advertisements may show up in the search results when you do a search on the page of Socopoco.
Some browser hijackers can be removed easily by changing the browser settings. But some keep coming back after a browser restart. In this case, you need to ensure all the files and registry entries of the PUPs have been deleted. If you can’t remove Socopoco.com manually, we strongly suggest you download and install a remover for Socopoco.com to safely and fully remove the malware.
The following video offers a complete guide for Socopoco.com browser hijacker removal. You’d better watch it in full-screen mode!