Last night, I downloaded a free game application from a link that appeared on my webpage in a pop up window. Once installed, I find that that both my default search engine and homepage change into Startgo123.com. What is it? Is it a virus? Is it safe to use the search engine to search information? Every time I browse the web, it always redirects me to the page that I’m not going to visit. What irritates me is that lots of annoying pop up ads and links cover with my webpage. After using this search engine for a few days, my computer runs slower and slower. Sometimes, it takes a long time to open a web page. I try to uninstall the game application to get rid of the search engine from my browser but it still appears. How do I remove Startgo123.com from my PC?
This article is mainly written to provide effective ways to completely get rid of Startgo123.com malware from computer and tell you how to avoid malware infection when surfing the internet. If you can’t stand the stubborn malware, why not try a professional malware removal tool to deal with it?
Download Malware Removal Tool to Free Scan Your PC!
What is Startgo123.com?
Through providing a quick access to all sorts of popular websites including social network site (Facebook & Twitter), shopping sites (Amazon & eBay), video site YouTube and news site CNN, Startgo123.com makes users believe that it is a reliable and useful search engine. Sharing a similar appearance with the famous search engine Google, Yahoo, and Bing doesn’t mean that it is a regular search tool that you can trust. Be similar to Yeabests.cc and Safebrowsing.biz, it is also classified as a browser hijacker. The typical characteristic of browser hijacker is to change your default search engine, homepage, new tab into its own http://startgo123.com/nav/index?geo=us&src= without any permission. Once browser setting is modified, it makes difficult to change it back.
Apart from altering the search engine and homepage of all your web browsers (IE, Chrome, Firefox, etc), there is another way you will be redirected to its homepage. By modifying the browser shortcuts, every time you open the browser, your startup page will be replaced by http://startgo123.com…/. Browser hijacker is created for various reasons. Typically, it is created for marketing, commercial and publicity purposes. Please note that every specific page you are redirected to is unsafe. Using the dangerous domain to search information, you won’t get a reliable search result. On the contrary, your search result may be full of lots of annoying popup ads and sponsored links. Much worse, browser hijacker may make your regular search engine inaccessible and disable your antivirus software. To avoid further damage, please run a Malware Remover to quickly eliminate it.
Most of the time, browser hijacker is mainly bundled with free software that you download from questionable website. The fact shows that these free applications usually contain lots of malicious programs like Startgo123.com, adware, spyware, Trojans, rootkits, etc. If you pay no attention to the installation procedure, a number of malware will install on computer along with the freeware without any signs. Free software is the most popular way to spread malware. However, hackers or cyber criminals also spread malware through spam emails, torrent file, file-sharing, suspicious links or ads. >>Click here to know about how to easily avoid malware infection when browsing the web.
As mentioned above, Startgo123.com is created for marketing or commercial purposes. Hence, most browser hijackers are created to generate revenue for its developer or steal sensitive data like credit card details, password, or other personal privacy data. It is dangerous! Please follow the guide below to get rid of the browser hijacker as soon as possible.
|Malware type||Browser hijacker|
|Spreading route||Freeware, spam emails, torrent file, P2P file-sharing, suspicious links/pop up ads|
|Harm||1) Alter the default search engine, homepage, startup page of browser.
2) Modify web browser shortcuts.
3) Redirect users to malicious webpage.
4) Disable antivirus software and make the regular search engine inaccessible.
5) Display lots of annoying advertisements on every corner of the webpage.
6) Steal sensitive data such as credit card details, password, and email address, etc.
|Solution||Run SpyHunter – a powerful anti-malware application to remove Startgo123.com quickly and completely.|
How to remove Startgo123.com – removal guide
To completely get rid of Startgo123.com from computer, you need to remove all its components including its files and registry entries. If you don’t have enough computer experience, we never recommend you to try the manual removal method which is quite complex. We have prepared an easier and faster way for Startgo123.com removal, which is suitable for everyone though you are a computer novice.
SpyHunter is an advanced malware removal tool certified by West Coast Lab’s Checkmark Certification program (A highly regarded independent security and product testing service). It is designed to assist computer users in protecting their PCs from malicious threats. With its advanced technology, SpyHunter can quickly detect, remove and block browser hijacker, adware, spyware, rootkits, keyloggers, Trojans, worms and other types of malware. Click the button below to start protecting your computer with this anti-malware tool now.
Delete, remove and block spyware, rootkits, adware, browser hijacker, Trojans and other types of malware.
Identify and stop any processes that attempt to secretly auto-start malware entries by exploring the Windows registry.
Daily malware definition updates ensure complete protection from the latest malware threats.
The video below will guide you to install SpyHunter step by step.
Once finished installing, run SpyHunter to have a full scan of your PC (Including hard disks, registry and web browser) by clicking Scan Computer Now.
After a while, you will see that Startgo123.com browser hijacker is quickly detected by SpyHunter.
Once finished scanning, please click Fix Threats button to remove all detected threats.
Note: SpyHunter’s free version only provides free scan and detection to your PC. To get rid of this browser hijacker and other potential threats, you need to purchase the full version of SpyHunter.
Startgo123.com manual removal
Step1. Uninstall any malicious programs from Control Panel.
Windows 7/Vista: Click Start > Control Panel > Uninstall a program under Programs.
Windows XP: Click Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.
Windows 8/10: Right-click Start > Control Panel > Uninstall a program under Programs
Find out any suspicious program in the list of installed programs and then click Uninstall/Remove to get rid of them.
Step2. Remove Startgo123.com from IE/Chrome/Firefox.
Remove Startgo123.com from IE
- Click the gear icon at the upper right corner and then select Internet options.
- Remove the malicious homepage http://startgo123.com…/and type a preferable web address as your new homepage or choose Use new tab. Then click Apply > OK button.
- Click the gear icon again and then select Manage add-ons from the list.
- In the opened window, click Search Providers on the left. Choose your desired search engine by clicking Set as default. Then find out unwanted search engine and click Remove button to delete it.
Remove Startgo123.com from Chrome
- Click the Chrome menu and choose Settings.
- Click Set pages under On startup.
- Delete the malicious startup page http://startgo123.com…/and type a desired one as your new page and click OK button.
- Return to Settings window, click Change link under Appearance.
- Delete Startgo123.com homepage. Then type a desired web address as your new homepage or choose Use the New Tab page and click OK button.
- Continue to the Settings window, then click Manage search engines button.
- First you need to select Google or other preferable one as your default. Then remove the malicious search engine Startgo123 by clicking X icon at the end. (Move your mouse to the end, the X icon will show up). After that, click Done button.
Remove Startgo123.com from Firefox
- Click Tools menu and select Options.
- In the opened window, remove the pernicious homepage http://startgo123.com…/. Then you can enter another web address as your new homepage or select Show a blank page. See the image below for better understanding.
- Now, switch to click Search tab on the left. Under Default Search Engine, click the inverted triangle icon to choose your favorite search engine such as Google.
- Scroll down your mouse, look for the unwanted search engine startgo123 under Search Engine box and then click Remove button to delete it.
Please note that browser hijacker Startgo123.com not only hijacks your default homepage and search engine, but also adds its malicious URL to browser’s shortcut. Although you have deleted the malware page from web browser, you still need to get rid of its URL from browser shortcut. Only in this way can make sure a complete removal.
Step3. Delete Startgo123.com malicious link from IE/Chrome/Firefox shortcut.
Delete the malicious link from IE shortcut
- Right-click the IE shortcut on your Desktop or Taskbar, then select Properties.
- In the Target filed, delete everything after .exe and then click Apply > OK button.
Delete Startgo123.com link from Chrome shortcut
- Right-click Chrome shortcut on your Desktop or Taskbar and select Properties from the list.
- In the Target field, remove everything after .exe, then click Apply > OK button.
Delete the baleful link http://startgo123.com…/ from Firefox shortcut
- Right-click your Firefox shortcut on Desktop or Taskbar and choose Properties.
- Delete everything behind .exe in the Target filed, then click Apply > OK button.
Step4. Clean the registry entries created by Startgo123.com.
This step is quite complicated and time-consuming. So be careful when performing the step.
Open Registry Editor
- Simultaneously press Windows + R key on the keyboard.
- Type regedit into the run box and click OK button.
- In the Registry Editor window, simultaneously press Ctrl + F key on the keyboard.
- Type Startgo123.com into the box and click Find Next button.
- Delete all the registry entries related to Startgo123.com browser hijacker.
Since Startgo123.com hijacked your browser and modified your browser settings, maybe you have installed lots of malicious programs on the computer. To make sure a complete cleaning, you need to identify all the malicious registry entries not only including Startgo123.com entries, but also including other pernicious programs’ entries. We never recommend deleting the entries manually for the computer security. Deleting any important files wrongly may lead to a serious system problem even break down the whole system. Here is a safer and quicker way to help you automatically clean all the invalid registry entries from your computer.
Download Registry Cleaner Now!
Step5. Reset browser to default settings. (Optional)
- Click the gear icon (at the upper right corner) and select Internet options.
- Click Advanced tab (at the top right corner) and click Reset button.
- Check the Delete personal settings and click Reset button.
- Click Close button when a message box pops up.
- Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
- Click Chrome menu (at the top right corner) and choose Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the window and click Show advanced settings.
- Continue to scroll down to the bottom and click Reset settings.
- Click Reset button when a dialog box pops up.
- Restart your computer.
- Click Help menu and select Troubleshooting Information.
- Click Refresh Firefox button.
- Click Refresh Firefox again when a window shows up.
- Restart your PC.
How to easily avoid virus/malware infection?
Protecting our PCs from virus/malware infection is not as difficult as you might think. Just pay more attention when browsing the web and master some effective tips, you can prevent from lots of viruses or malware infection. There are thousands of malware are released on the Internet every single day. Once infected them, the malicious programs will slow down computer and seriously interfere with your browsing activities, some can even compromise personal data in your system. How to keep your PC safe and avoid virus/malware infection? Carefully read the useful tips listed below and keep in mind firmly.
Install Anti-Virus Software
Installing anti-virus software should be the first step to keep your PC away from virus infection. However, keeping the security software up to date should be the second step. Well, don’t forget the third step also the important step. Run the anti-virus software to scan your PC regularly. Thus, virus won’t catch the chance or exploit the system vulnerability to attack your computer.
Be careful of public wireless network
It’s reported that many public wireless network links have been set up by hackers or cybercriminals to intercept sensitive data that is transferred across the unsafe link. Thus, hackers can access users’ personal information (credit card information, login password, email address, and other valuable information) and use that for illegal purposes. Never use unencrypted public wireless network to send important email or transmit any sensitive data to others.
Surf smart requires that you should be wary of the apps or files you download, the webpage you browse, the email you open, the pop up ads or links you click, etc. Before downloading an application or file, make sure it is from a trust website or its official site. Otherwise, lots of malicious programs are waiting for you to install. Besides, make sure you won’t visit any malicious pages. When your antivirus software warns you it is a malicious page, you should return to safe web instead of choosing to continue browsing. Third, never open any emails sent from unknown people. Last but not the least; avoid clicking any links and ads that claim to help you update software or browser. Usually, these links and ads appear on your webpage in a pop up window and most of them contain malicious codes. Once click, you may be forced to install malware like adware, spyware, Trojans, etc.
Be wary of P2P file-sharing
P2P file-sharing allows users to access media files such as books, music, movies, and games using a P2P software program that searches for other connected computers on a P2P network to locate the desired content. (Source from Wikipedia) However, it is also the largest sources of virus or malware programs to host illegal files, pirated software and copyright-infringing music or videos through P2P file-sharing.
Use strong passwords
A strong password contains 8 characters at least in length and should include upper case, lower case, number, symbol, etc. A strong and complicated password is not easy to be deciphered by hackers or cyber criminals. Every time you surf the internet and login your username and password, you shouldn’t save your password on the webpage when you exit. In addition, you should set different passwords on different websites.
Install Real-Time Anti-Malware Software
You may think antivirus software can provide enough protection to your PC. But in reality antivirus software just can help detect and remove virus but can’t help detect and block malware programs from attacking the target computer. To prevent malware infection, you are highly recommended installing a real-time anti-malware application. Although there are many anti-malware applications for you to choose, none provide a real-time protection like SpyHunter. SpyHunter is designed to assist computer users in protecting their PCs from malware infection. Moreover, the free version of the powerful anti-malware application can quickly help you detect any types of malware including browser hijacker, spyware, viruses, Trojans, adware, rootkits, and keyloggers and block the se malicious programs that attempt to attack your computer. Download SpyHunter by clicking the button below.
The following video offers a complete guide for Startgo123.com removal. You’d better watch it in full-screen mode