How can I delete Tpoxa.com completely from my Chrome? This tpoxa page started to occur on my Chrome a couple days ago and it loads automatically every time I use the browser. The things I’ve tried to remove it including reinstalling Chrome, clearing the cookies and caches and scanning the system for malware but nothing work. The site still show up again and again whenever the browser is started and I nearly give up using Chrome browser. Is there any effective way to delete damned tpoxa page? Any help will be appreciated.
Is your browser homepage also changed to Tpoxa.com without letting you delete it? How does this malware enter your PC? How to get rid of it completely? Read on and you will find the answers.
What is Tpoxa.com?
Similar to Launchpage.org, Startpageing123.com and LuckyStarting.com, Tpoxa.com is also considered as a browser hijacker or potentially unwanted program that changes users’ browser settings without permission. It usually targets popular web browsers like Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Google and makes modifications on the Internet browser settings. One of the most obvious and common behaviors caused by this unwanted program is that the default homepage or search engine of the affected browser is replaced with http://tpoxa.com/search.
If your browser is also infected with browser hijacker, the search page as showed above may show up when you start the browser. Sometimes, it may be an error or Page Not found page. As we can see, the browser hijacker shares a familiar appearance with other well-known search engines such as Google. It provides a search box with “Google Custom Search” in it and also allows you to do a search. It seems that this website is also helpful, right? However, browser hijackers are mainly designed to generate web traffic for certain pages and display advertising so that their developers can make profits. Such unwanted programs often serve as an advertising platform and deliver various advertisements to computer users. Typically, some ads will be displayed under the search box and attract you to click on them. Some are displayed in the search results and they are generally related to what you searched for. For the sake of your computer, you’d better not click on those pop-up ads or links promoted or displayed by the site. The third-party content may redirect you to other websites containing tons of pop-ups and ads or even malware. Be cautious of those pop-up ads such as “virus alert”, “Java outdated”, “Update Flash Player”, “Optimize PC”, etc. They may mislead you into downloading and installing other unwanted programs which may occupy your system resources and slow down the PC performance. Just ignore those pop-up ads and find effective way to get rid of Tpoxa.com as soon as possible.
Misleading pop-up ad you might see:
Another reason that you should remove the browser hijacker is that it may track your browsing activities and collect your personal data for commercial purposes. If you enter any personally identifiable information when using their services, the data may be collected and shared with third parties for marketing purposes, which may lead to privacy issues if your data is misused by some third parties (cybercriminals). Therefore, the browser hijacker should be removed immediately once it is discovered.
How did Tpoxa.com get into your computer?
If you often download and install new software from the Internet, you may find that sometimes unfamiliar add-ons or toolbars are added to your browsers, your default web browser is changed, the default homepage or search engine is replaced with another one and some unknown program shortcut icons appear on the desktop or other unexpected changes occur after new software installation. In fact, many potentially unwanted programs like browser hijackers can be bundled with freeware and get installed on the PC as a part of the software you desire. That’s why those changes appear on your PC after you did a software installation or update.
If you pay attention to the software installation process, you may find some additional items are chosen in advance. They will be installed on the computer along with the desired software if you don’t uncheck the checkboxes of them. Many users prefer the recommended installation and this usually invite some unwanted items to their PCs. Thus, to avoid browsers hijacker like Tpoxa.com, Custom/Advanced Install should always be the first choice if there is.
The browser hijacker may also be mentioned in the EULAs. We suggest that you’d better carefully read the EULA agreements of the software you need before downloading and installing. If any suspicious or harmful content is found in the agreements, cancel the installation and download software from other sources or choose another piece of similar software instead.
In addition, the unwanted programs can also be distributed via spam emails, drive-by-download, malicious pop-ups and websites. Please be more careful when surfing the Internet and it’s necessary to keep an advanced anti-malware program on the PC to safeguard the system.
How to get rid of Tpoxa.com from your computer completely?
Step1: Uninstall suspicious programs from Windows
- Right click on the Start menu in the bottom left corner of the screen. (If you are using Windows 8, press Windows key and then right click on the purple start menu)
- Select Programs and Features from the menu.
- All the currently installed programs will be displayed in the Programs and Features window. Search for the programs or toolbars that may cause the browser hijacking issue, select them and remove them by clicking on Uninstall button.
- Remove the unwanted programs with the given instructions completely.
- Click on Start button and choose Control Panel.
- Click on Uninstall a program under Programs category (View by: Category) or Programs and Features (View by: Large icons). Double click on Add/Remove Programs if you use Windows XP.
- Find the programs or plug-ins that may cause Tpoxa.com browser hijacker, select them and uninstall them by clicking on Uninstall or Remove button.
- Follow the instructions to complete the uninstallation.
Step2: Delete unknown or suspicious extensions
- Click on Tools or the IE menu button, and then select Manage Add-ons.
- In the window, click on Toolbars and Extensions under Add-on Types.
- If any add-on that is unfamiliar to you available on the list, select it and click on the Remove button.
- Click on the Chrome menu button in the top right corner of the browser and then select More Tools -> Extensions.
- Find any suspicious extensions that were installed recently without permission and click chrome-trashcan-icon to remove it.
- Click on Tools on the menu bar or the Mozilla Firefox menu button in the top right corner of the browser and then select Add-ons.
- In the Add-ons Manager page, click on Extensions on the left side.
- Find any other strange add-on and remove it by clicking on Remove button next to it.
Step3: Check your browser shortcuts
If the browser hijacker makes some changes in the properties of your browser shortcut, the browser may also be hijacked. To make sure the browser’s shortcut hasn’t been affected, follow the steps below to open the browser properties and delete harmful texts from the Target line if there is.
- Find the IE/Firefox/Chrome browser shortcut on your desktop. Right click on it and select Properties.
- In the Properties window, select the Shortcut tab and ten have a look at the Target line.
By default, the text in Internet Explorer is “C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe”.
Google Chrome is “C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe” (32 bit)
Or “C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe” (64-bit)
Mozilla Firefox is “C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe” (32-bit )
Or “C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe” (64-bit).
- If you see Tpoxa.com or other strange content in the Target line, please delete them and then click on OK button to save the changes.
Step4: Scan your computer for Tpoxa.com with SpyHunter
SpyHunter is an anti-malware program that is able to find and remove Tpoxa.com thoroughly. In addition to browser hijackers, this tool can detect and clear other cyber threats like Trojans, adware, spyware, ransomware and so on. It shows the brief info of the threats found in the scan results and also lists the relevant malicious files. With SpyHunter, you can get rid of the browser hijacker successfully within seconds.
- Download SpyHunter to your computer.
- SpyHunter starts to scan your system for malware. To scan for viruses effectively, you may need to update the tool to the latest version before scanning. To start a new scan, click on Scan Computer Now button. The scanning may take a few minutes to finish.
- Once done, all the threats on your PC will be showed in the scan results. You can see Tpoxa.com and other threats which are visible to you but indeed exist on the system.Click on the expand button next to the infection and more details about it will be displayed. To clear them, click on the Fix Threats button.
- SpyHunter is a free virus scanner. You need to purchase its full version to completely wipe out Tpoxa.com and other infections.
Step5: Double check the PC for malware using Plumbytes
Plumbytes is a tool that detects and annoying browser toolbars or extensions, spyware, hijackers like Tpoxa.com, ad injects and other types of malware. This tool is good at fixing your hijacked browser, and constantly monitoring your computer’s security. To make sure there are no items of the browser hijacker left on your system, follow the steps below to scan your PC with Plumbytes.
- Click here to download Plumbytes.
- Run the downloaded file to start the installation. Follow the instructions on the screen complete the installation. The installation process usually takes merely a few seconds.
- Once installed, Plumbytes starts to scan your system for malware automatically. The scanning may last for several minutes.
- When the scan is completed, all the threats on your PC are displayed in the scan results. You can see Tpoxa.com and other threats are showed there. To clear the infections and protect your PC, click on the REMOVE SELECTED button.
- This is also a free malware detection utility. You need to purchase its full version to completely clear all the infections.
Step6: Repair your browser settings.
The steps above should have removed Tpoxa.com from your completely. If the PUP has modified your browser homepage and search engines, follow the guide below to set the browser settings to your preference.
- Click on the Tools or the IE menu button and choose Internet Options.
- Under the General tab, locate to the Home page field and delete Tpoxa.com if it is there. Then enter the address of the website that you’d like to set as the default homepage instead. Click OK to save the changes.
- Click on Tools or the IE menu button and select Manage add-ons.
- Click on Search Providers under Add-on Types. If any unwanted search engine is listed there, select it and click Remove button and then click Close. Choose a search engine you want and click Set as default to set it as the default search provider.
- Click on Chrome menu button at the top right corner of the browser window and select Settings.
- Under On startup, select Open a specific page or set of pages and click the Set pages. If Tpoxa.com is found, delete it and then enter the URL of your preferred page in the blank field and click on OK to save the changes.
- Under Appearance, check the Open Homepage button and the home icon will appear on the left of the address bar. Click on the Change link. If any unwanted URL is displayed there, please delete it by clicking on the “X” button. Then type the address of the website you’d like in the editable field and click on OK button.
- Under Search, click on the arrow button and select the search engine that you want. It will become you default search engine.
- To delete the unwanted search engine, click on Manage search engines… link. Delete the search engine you want to remove by clicking on the “X” icon. Click on OK button to save the changes.
- Click on Tools or the Firefox menu button at the top right corner of the browser window and select Options.
- Click on General. Under Startup, make sure When Firefox starts: is set to Show my home page. Delete Tpoxa.com from the Home Page field if you see it there. Then enter the address of your preferred website to make it the default homepage.
- Click on Search on the left side of the page. Under Default Search Engines, click on the arrow icon and select the one you’d like to set as the default search engine.
- Under One-click search engines, select the unwanted search engine you and click on Remove button to delete it. Close the page and the changes will be saved.
Alternatively, you can try deleting the browser hijacker from browsers by resetting the browser settings to defaults. This can usually solve the browser problems caused by potentially unwanted programs, but please note that your customized toolbars, add-ons and other settings will also be removed. See How to Restore Your Browser to Default Settings?
Tpoxa.com is a browser hijacker that may change the browser settings and set your default homepage or search engine to http://tpoxa.com/search. It is mainly used to force hits to its site and insert advertisements into web pages so that its developers will get paid when you click on the ads or links. Due to this unwanted program, you may encounter browser redirection issue and frequent ads and your browsing experience will be affected. What’s worse, your online privacy is become a potential issue.
Sometimes, you can easily remove this hijacker by resetting the browser settings or reinstalling the browsers. But sometimes the unwanted program becomes nasty and it keeps coming back even if you have deleted it. In this case, it’s suggested that you download and install a Tpoxa.com removal tool to safely and fully remove the malware.
The following video offers a complete guide for Tpoxa.com removal. You’d better watch it in full-screen mode!