Evernote has always worked great for me, not long ago when I tried updating it to the latest version on my Windows 7 Home Basic system I got into troubles. I got an error saying that:
“Evernote was already installed by another user. Only one per-user installation is supported. An administrator can install Evernote for everyone after the per-user installation is removed.”
I only own one account on my computer and without doubt it is the only administrator of the system. I tried to run the updater as administrator and even reinstall Evernote but the problem still remains unsolved. Does anyone know a fix? Please help!
Are you facing with any strange problem on using or updating Evernote? You may need to uninstall and then reinstall it to fix the issue. If you fail to perform a full uninstall of Evernote, the application below would be able to help you with that.
Evernote is a suite of software that allows users to edit, save, organize and share their notes on different devices. Generally, computer users use Evernote Basic for regular use, but Evernote also provides other versions – Plus, Premium and Business to meet specific needs. Users can create a new note in a variety of forms such as plain text, web page, brief excerpt, image and handwritten/audio note.
Besides, users can also attach a file to a note and the attachment can be any type of content. The only restriction of the uploaded attachment is that the total size of the note with attachments included does not exceed the note size limit of your account. If your account level is Basic, you would have 60MB of new uploads per month. Plus user and Premium user have 1GB and 10GB respectively.
It is fairly easy to share notes with others as it just like we share news on social software. When you take a new note on Evernote, the note will be produced with a unique URL. User can share the public URL on anywhere so that the note is accessible to anyone acquires the URL. Certainly, the owner of the note is able to stop sharing at any time.
If you just add a picture from your photo album to Evernote on your mobile phone and want to view it on computer, there is no impediment to make it. As long as you have an account of Evernote, all you need to do is just to login your account on your computer with Internet. All your notes (except those are stored as local file and stay offline) are synced to Evernote’s server constantly, which means that you can access your notes anywhere Evernote installs, no matter you are using a cell phone, tablet or computer.
Generally speaking, this software is an excellent tool for note-taking and it can apply to multiple platforms effectively, however, users sometimes could come across some problems when update, uninstall and reinstall it due to some kind of technical issues. For example, Evernote could keep crashing after you update to its latest version for some reason.
Once you encounter the situation that you have to uninstall Evernote program, please do it by following the correct procedures, if not, the software could be damaged and cannot be deleted completely. Every application automatically generates a lot of files in different places while being installed on computer system. Deleting the folder on the installation location cannot fully uninstall this program. Moreover, even if you uninstall the program correctly through Control Panel, there could still be some files that cannot be removed with the uninstallation. These useless files occupy much disk space and might affect system performance. Thus, you are advised to use uninstall tool to help you uninstall Evernote completely and safely.
Please make sure that all you data of notes have been backed up properly. Though Evernote usually syncs your contents to Evernote Web seamlessly, synchronization is not equal to backup. There could be irresistible factors to make Evernote fail to sync notes:
* Network problems
* Human error
* Permission issues
* Out of monthly quota
* Software vulnerabilities
Sometimes users can’t see the changes on other devices after they update their notes. In fact this might be the result of database update latency. If you do not know whether your notes have been synced rightly or not, you can log in to Evernote Web to check if the changes have been saved to the server. Once you find your note does not sync properly, please heed the following tips:
- Check your network connection and try again
- Try reboot your device
- Update the application to the latest version and try sync again
- Looking for help by searching Evernote Help & Learning
- Empty the Trash
- Reinstall Evernote
To ensure your data is absolutely secure, you may need to back them up both in local disk and in the remote server. It is not difficult to back up notes on your computer by exporting them. You can choose to back up a single note, several notes or a whole notebook at a time. What is more, users are able to import the saved data into another Evernote account with this method. Even if the data is downloaded from an Evernote Business account, it can be used with an Evernote Basic account.
Therefore, you can be reassured that you will not lose your notes if you uninstall Evernote as long as you keep the full backup of your data. You can view your all notes after you reinstall the program on your device and restore notes.
How to Uninstall Evernote without Third Party Program (for Windows)
If you don’t want to rely on any third party program to remove Evernote from your computer, the following procedures provide you with all necessary steps.
Step 1 Log on your computer as administrator
In certain situations the Windows system may require the PC user to have sufficient authority to modify the system. If you are not the administrator of the computer, you will probably see the warning like that:
Hence it is best to run the computer as the system administrator before you start to uninstall the software.
- Open Start menu and type command in search box, then right click on Command Prompt and select “Run as administrator”.
- Type “net user administrator /active:yes” (without quotation marks) in the Command Prompt window and then press Enter. This will enable the default administrator account.
- When you see a message stating that the command completed successfully, it means this operation works.
- Restart your computer and you would see the administrator account appearing as a login option. You should select that account to login the computer.
- Press Win+X keys together on your keyboard and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the options.
- Select Yes on the UAC(User Account Control) dialog box.
- Type “net user administrator /active:yes” (without quotation marks) and press Enter to continue.
- If it works, you will see a prompt saying that “The command completed successfully.”
- Close this window and sign out from the current user account. You will see the account of administrator is available on the log-in screen.
Step 2 Exit the program
If Evernote is now running on your PC, you should close it first.
Right click on the icon of Evernote and choose Quit Evernote.
Step 3 Uninstall programs through Control Panel Applets
The steps to uninstall a program are basically the same in all versions of Windows operating system.
- Click Start, choose Control Panel.
- Open Add or Remove Programs.
- A list of all programs currently installed on your computer will show to you with the icons of programs. Find Evernote from the list and click on Remove to uninstall it. Please confirm that you have selected “Change or Remove Programs” tab or you will be unable to find the unwanted program exactly.
- Wait for Evernote to complete uninstall process. When this box disappears and Evernote is removed from the list, the uninstall operation finishes.
Note: Do not click the Cancel button during the uninstallation process or the uninstallation will be scrapped.
- Choose Run from Start Menu.
- Type “regedit” (without quotation marks) and click on OK to open Registry Editor that enables users to make changes to keys and values in Windows registry.
- Press Ctrl+F keys together to open Find dialog box so that you can find any registry entries related to Evernote by entering the name.
- Once you find the relevant results, right click on it and select Delete.
Note: Please be careful when you delete registry keys as once this operation is done, the deleted item is irrecoverable, so you need to be absolutely confident that you are doing it in the right way. If you have done something wrong, you may severely damage the system.
In the end, restart the system to confirm this program has been uninstalled successfully.
- Click on the Start icon and select Control Panel.
- Click on Uninstall a program in the window of Control Panel.
- In Programs and Features, find Evernote from the list and click on Uninstall.
- The Windows confirmation dialog will open after that. Click on Yes to ensure that you really want to uninstall the software from the system.
- Please wait a few seconds for the program to prepare for uninstallation.
Note: During this session, the Windows system may pop up some prompts to ask for your authorization to allow Evernote uninstaller to make changes to this computer. You just need to click on Yes so as to proceed with the uninstallation.
- With user’s permission, the uninstallation will be complete on its own.
- Type “run” in the search box from Start and open Run.
- Type “regedit” (without quotation marks) and click on OK to open Registry Editor.
- After Registry Editor opens, use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+F to search for Evernote’s registry files quickly.
- Usually, users can find its registry key under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER subtree. Its location could be this:
At last, restart your computer to apply all changes.
- Press Windows key to open Start screen. Use the built-in Search feature to search Control Panel.
- Click on Uninstall a program to enter Programs and Features, and then look for Evernote program and click Uninstall.
- Click on Yes to ensure that you are not removing this program unintentionally.
- The Windows installer will start to prepare for uninstallation.
- It might take about a minute to gather necessary data and remove Evernote application.
If you can’t find the icon of Evernote from the list after uninstallation procedure gets complete, you can move to the next process.
- Press Win+R keys together in the desktop of Windows 8 to open Run Command.
- Type “regedit” and click on OK to open the Windows 8 Registry Editor.
- After Registry Editor opens, press Ctrl+F to locate Evernote’s registry files in seconds.
- If you find the related items, make sure you have selected the right keys and delete them permanently by clicking on Yes. Once you edit or delete the wrong registry keys, it may lead to more serious problem like unrecoverable system error.
Finally, restart your computer to check if the program has been uninstalled from the computer successfully.
- Type “uninstall” into the search box next to the Start icon and select “Programs and Features” from the search results. This will directly show users with the built-in uninstall feature of Windows.
- Find Evernote program from the list and then click on Uninstall.
- Click on Yes to confirm that execution.
- Now you should wait for it to gather required information which is indispensable to uninstallation process.
- The uninstallation procedure will be finished within seconds.
- Next, find Run application by entering “run” in search box.
- Type “regedit” into the box and Windows will open the Registry Editor for you.
- After you turn on Registry Editor, press Ctrl+F keys simultaneously and search for any items about Evernote by name.
- When you locate the registry file of Evernote, right click on it and delete.
It is recommended that you restart your computer to ensure Evernote has been removed completely.
How to Uninstall Evernote with Advanced Uninstaller (for all users)
The manual methods are much more technical and require certain computer skills. If you are an advanced computer users, uninstalling the program would be a piece of cake, but if you are a general user who don’t know much about computer, a simple-to-use tool is recommended.
Perfect Uninstaller is an efficient program which can help you uninstall any unwanted software. Even inexperienced computer users can use it to uninstall programs from their computers without any extra help from others. It is able to list all installed programs, system updates, browser plug-ins & extensions and so on, so any users can easily find the program that they want to uninstall and remove it in a few clicks.
- Save the installer on your computer.
- Install it on your computer by following the installation wizard. The default installation location is C:Program FilesPerfect Uninstaller. This directory can be changed during the installation process.
- Once the installation is complete, launch Perfect Uninstaller immediately.
- Choose Evernote from the list and click on Uninstall.
- A small window of some information about this program will turn up.
- Click on Next to continue.
- Perfect uninstaller would tell you what it is going to do for uninstalling.
- A dialog will show up to let you confirm the operation.
- Click on Yes to remove all leftovers by Evernotes.
Now Evernote should be uninstalled from the PC. If you find it is still in your system, please try the Force Uninstall Feature of Perfect Uninstaller.
Note: Force Uninstall will scan the entire computer system. The scan involves startup items, registry keys, and hidden programs. It can forcibly uninstall the program that can’t be uninstalled in conventional way in a few minutes, but it also asks you to get the serial number for the full version.
- Select Evernote and then choose Force Uninstall.
- It would prompt a tip suggesting you try normal uninstall method first. If you have tried that before, just click on OK.
- Choose the location where you installed Evernote, select its program file and click on Next.
- In next session Perfect Uninstaller will show you the related registry key and files of Evernote. Clicking on Next will start to remove them and Evernote should be uninstalled too.