Browser gets hijacked?
Is 9o0gle.com A Virus?
Though 9o0gle.com is dubbed as redirect virus by many people, strictly speaking, it is not a computer virus. It is widely thought to be one due to its harmful activities that pose great risks of harm to computer. It will not spread itself automatically from a host to another or replicate itself quickly within a computer system as a real virus does, but it is still a considerable threat to computer.
First of all, you should have a fully clear concept about 9o0gle.com browser hijacker in mind. The most evident sign indicating your browser has been hijacked by the browser hijacker is the abrupt change of your browser settings. The unusual change that you notice when using your computer is probably the message from the computer telling you there is intruder inside the system. If your browser homepage is replaced by a site you don’t recognize and you can’t revert back to original settings, we can preliminarily estimate that your browser is attacked by browser hijacker.
Once infected by 9o0gle.com redirect virus, the settings of all web browsers installed on your PC are likely to get modified. Besides the homepage, your default search engine and new tab will also be overridden by this unwanted website. It can even install malicious add-ons, toolbars or plug-ins developed by unknown publisher to your browser in order to place advertising contents within the browser. The aim of a browser hijacker is to generate traffic to its websites and the sites that it has been cooperating with so the creator can get profit from that. To complete this task, the main method it uses is changing the settings of browsers to force or mislead users to click on particular links.
Some malicious websites contain malware including adware and spyware. Once a user enters the unsafe website, the malware could get installed on the computer automatically without any extra click and user’s knowledge. The unwanted programs may install on your computer one after the other and you don’t even have the chance to cancel the download or installation.
After you have a full understanding of what is a browser hijacker like, it would be easier for you to get to know 9o0gle.com. With a similar domain look like google in appearance, this redirect virus is seen as a safe and great online resource providing useful features by lots of web users. Computer users are able to access popular social networking media like Facebook, Youtube and Linkedin. The group about online shopping sites is also available on its page. Apart from these, users can play some funny online games for free to play on the page of 9o0gle.com. There is a search box of Google custom search at the top center of this web page. Everything on this website seems to be fine until you click on those quick accesses or use the search service. When you do so, you will find that the Google custom search feature is a fake one.
As long as you hold the cursor above the logo of Google, you will see the real redirect link it contains displaying at the lower-left corner. If you click on any social media widget object in this page, you will be redirected to yebests.cc before you arrive on the real social networking site. For example, after you click on the icon of Facebook, a blank page will immediately show up with the domain of w**.yeabests.cc/facebook and you will enter your Facebook successfully in seconds. Since the unexpected redirection does not last long, it is hardly noticed by people.
9o0gle.com will seriously impact your browsing speed and activities by adding or modifying hosts file, and that is the reason why the browser is always redirected to unwanted pages even if you try to change the settings back time after time.
This insecure site can record your browsing activities and extract the data related about your personal information for future promotion plan. If your hosts file was manipulated by the browser hijacker, restoring the hosts file will not delete the malware on your computer. You have to run a full scan on your computer system with a professional tool so that you can be sure the malicious software can be removed completely.
How Does Your Computer Get Infected?
Generally a browser hijacker gets into a computer in the form of becoming part of freeware that you downloaded from unreliable source. Computer users will invite the hijacker when they installing a questionable program if they do not pay attention to the free software that they are installing. The free programs from unsafe websites are usually ad-injecting software which will quietly installed unwanted programs during the installation process.
The other common ways for a browser hijacker to get spread include spam E-mail, pop-up windows and infected hyperlinks. It is important for every user to be careful when using the Internet to avoid getting computer infection like 9o0gle.com.
How to Fix Your Hijacked Web Browser?
If you find the browser homepage, your regular search engine or other settings of your browser is changed to 9o0gle.com or other hazardous website, don’t rush to revert all settings back straight away before you wipe out the malicious program on your PC. The browser hijacker will not leave your browser until you have cleaned the malware and all of its files. Thus, you need to find out the root causing this redirect virus and eliminate it from your system first.
If you are not confident modifying computer settings and registry entries, please use the removal tool to complete this task.
If you are an experienced computer user, follow the removal guides below in steps to remove 9o0gle.com.
steps to remove 9o0gle.com.
Step One: Uninstall the Rouge Program from Your Computer
Click on Start > Control Panel > Programs And Features.
If you see the Control Panel Window opening with “Category” view by default, choose “Uninstall a program” listed under the “Programs”.
You can then see a list of all your installed programs, locate the program that you don’t recognize and you don’t remember you have installed before. If you are not sure if the program you’ve select is safe to uninstall, search the name of the software on the Internet.
If you are asked for making confirmation, click on the Uninstall or Yes button to execute the uninstallation procedure.
Step Two: Delete Registry Entries Related to This Browser Hijacker
Click Start > Run, type “regedit ” in the Open box and then click on OK.
Press Ctrl+F keys together, type “9o0gle” or the name of the suspicious program in the text field, press Enter.
Step Three: Set A New Homepage on Your Browsers
- Open Chrome browser.
- Select Settings.
- Under “Appearance” section, click Change to set your homepage with a new web address.
- Open Firefox browser.
- Click the Menu > Options.
- Select the General.
- Enter the URL of the website you want to set as the homepage to replace 9o0gle.com.
- Close this page and the change will be saved automatically.
- Open Internet Explorer browser.
- Click Tools > Internet Options
- Delete the existing web link in the Home page field, type in the web address of the website that you want as your new home page.
- Click on OK.
- Open Microsoft Edge browser.
- Click the Three-dot More icon > Settings
- Select the option of A specific page or pages under the Open With.
- Click the X mark to remove the link of unwanted website and enter a new one.
- Press Enter key to save your changes and restart the browser.
Step Four: Change Your Default Search Engine
- Type “chrome://settings/searchEngines” in the address bar of your Chrome browser and press Enter.
- And then you will see a list of all search engines that have been installed on your browser.
As 9o0gle.com is your current search engine, you should make another search engine as your new default search engine first and then you are allowed to remove it.
Now move your mouse over the search engine you wish to use and select “Make default”.
- Click the X of 9o0gle search engine to delete it from your browser.
- Click on Done button to save your setting.
- Type “about:preferences#search” in the address bar of Firefox browser and press Enter.
- Select a new search engine you prefer in drop-down menu under Default Search Engine.
- Select the search engine that you don’t need and click on the Remove button.
- Click Tools > Manage add-ons > Search Providers
- If you find any strange search engine in the list, select it and click on Remove.
- If your default search engine is altered by the redirect virus and you want to use a new one, please open the web page of a search website you’d like to use and click on the More icon > Settings.
If you have ever set your search engine by yourself, you could just click on More actions icon directly and choose Settings.
- When you are presented with Settings menu, scroll down it and click on View Advanced Settings.
- Navigate to Search in the address bar with option.
If you see the search engine is replaced with 9o0gle.com or other dubious web address, click on <Add new> to choose another one.
- Click on the website that you would like to make as your default search engine and then click on Add as default.
Get Rid of 9o0gle.com by Using Advanced Removal Tool
The manual removal method may have your browser get out of the control of the browser hijacker, but there must be some infected files and altered changes you omit when you try removing the infections. Though your browser may be able to work as usual without interruption, some invisible changes still can’t be restored manually. In addition, you could fail to delete some malicious files or programs during the removal process. Or you think you have removed them successfully, while they can revive as long as you restart the browser.
Anyway, removing the browser hijacker manually is not the best solution. It is time-consuming while low-efficiency. It even requires the users have excellent computer skills to perform the removal. Computer security experts always suggest web users to use the professional and reliable removal tool to remove the browser hijacker or other PC threats.
SpyHunter is such an effective application that helps users scan the computer fully and remove the detected threats quickly. It is a secure program which is free of virus and malware. We assure you that you will not get any additional program or unpleasant thing during its installation. You can uninstall it easily any time you want.
Now download SpyHunter installer to your computer:
Follow the on-screen instructions to install SpyHunter on your PC until it is complete.
The default installation directory is C:Program FilesEnigma Software GroupSpyHunter.
After you finish the installation, SpyHunter will immediately start a quick scan for computer threats.
Tips: To ensure a complete scan, it is suggested that you exit all other running programs and close the browser.
Once the scan is over, click on Fix Threats to remove all detected infections.
The scan results will be listed with detailed information for users to review.
Restart the computer at last.
To prevent your computer from further infections, web users should always be aware of the contents they browse online. Here are some advices to help users avoid getting a computer virus and malware:
- Keep eyes on what you are downloading from free websites.
- Don’t install any software you did not ask for.
- Don’t click on the pop-up window/box that appear suddenly out of nowhere even you want to close it by clicking.
- Turn on the pop-up blocker feature on your browser.
- When you receive an email with attachment or containing unknown links, check the email address of the sender carefully before you open the attachment or click on the link.
- If the email is sent by your acquaintance while seems suspicious, then contact that person through another way to verify that the email is safe.
- Make sure your browser is up-to-date.
- Using effective anti-virus software to keep your device protected against viruses and malware.
If you think your computer is infected or you need a tool to identify and remove malware on your PC, use our free scanner to keep your computer staying virus-free.
The following video offers a complete guide for 9o0gle.com removal. You’d better watch it in full-screen mode!