This article mainly describes what Groover is and how to remove it from the infected computer completely. Additionally, this article gives useful tips to avoid getting malware in the end. If you have fallen victim to Groover and still found no effective way to get rid of it, then you can continue reading and learn how to remove Groover from your PC for good.
What is Groover?
Groover claims to be a beneficial application that helps enhance Internet users’ online shopping experience by offering them the best deals and coupons. But in fact, it is an adware program (also called potentially unwanted program) that serves to display a variety of advertisements on users’ web pages such as Wal-Mart and Amazon. Those ads delivered by this adware are diverse, including deals, coupons, fake computer error alerts, prize messages, etc. More users click on these ads, more money the adware creators can gain from the advertisers.
The adware may carry out some activities after getting installed on a computer. These may include:
- Drop its own files in the local hard disk C.
- Modify the registry settings so as to run automatically whenever the computer is started.
- Alter browser settings and DNS settings to interfere with the browser behavior.
- Monitors the user’s browsing activities and send the data to advertisers.
- Receive advertising materials from advertisers and display them on the user’s pages.
- Download and install unwanted toolbars or plug-ins on the user’s browsers.
The following are some screenshots of those paid-per-click ads:
How does Groover spread?
- Adware can spread via free software. It has been a trend that developers of free software will bundle other programs, typically in the form of browser add-ons or extensions, with the software you intend to download, in order to make its own software free. And a user may get Groover adware installed on his computer when downloading and installing such free software.
- This adware may also spread through email attachments. It may be injected into an email attachment which is sent to random users. If a user clicks and opens the attachment, the adware will be activated and installed on the user’s computer immediately.
- Besides, this adware may spread itself via malicious links. For example, a Skype user might receive a malicious link and be told that he has a call waiting and need to click the link. Upon clicking, the user would be taken to a site asking him to download an application (actually it is the adware program) in order to view the message and enjoy “safer browsing”. If the user does so, he is downloading and installing an adware program on his machine.
- Additionally, Groover adware may spread by means of hacked websites. When a user browses a hacked website, drive-by download might occur. Cyber hackers like to use drive-by download techniques to deliver malware like adware, browser hijackers, Trojans and viruses. When the user accesses the hacked websites, some malicious codes can exploits weakness or other vulnerabilities in the user’s browsers or browser plug-ins, allowing the downloading of malware like Groover to the user’s computer. But the user is not aware of this downloading process at all.
Should Groover Be Removed?
Although this adware is not as malicious as a Trojan, it should be removed from the infected computer promptly. In the first place, a user could waste money on some meaningless products or services since the adware keep showing many misleading ads on his pages. In the second place, the adware could compromise a user’s privacy. According to some security experts, many adware programs could track a user’s browsing habits, sell this information to advertisers, receive ads from the advertisers and further inject those ads into the user’s pages. As an adware program, Groover also possesses this capability. Once installed on a user’s computer, it will install a proxy server on a the computer that monitors all web traffic passing through it, tracking the user’s browsing preferences to build up a profile and sell that profile to advertisers. One more reason, this adware could increase the risk of the computer being with malware. When staying on a computer, the adware will make changes to settings of the user’s browsers, which lowers the level of the browsers security. It is known that most malware attack a computer by exploiting vulnerabilities found in the user’s browsers. So, if the adware is not removed, it may bring malware infections to the targeted computer.
Instruction to Remove Groover Adware from Your PC
As you can see, the adware can generate a series of problems when installed on the infected computer. Therefore, if you are a victim of this adware, you need to get rid of it from your PC as quickly as possible. If you have no ideas how to remove it, please follow the steps below:
Step 1: Remove the adware related program from your system.
For Windows Vista/7 users: Click Start button, go to Control Panel and click on Uninstall a program or Programs and Features. In the open window, look for the program with name “Groover” or any other suspicious program, select it, and then click on the Uninstall/Change button to remove it.
For Windows XP users: Click Start button, select Control Panel and then double click on Add/Remove Programs. In the list of all installed programs, search for the adware related program or any program that looks suspicious, highlight it, and then click on the Remove button to remove it.
For Windows 8/8.1 users: Right click on the bottom left corner of the computer screen, and click on Programs and Features option from the pop-up menu. A window will open and show all programs installed on your PC. Scroll down to look for the adware associated program, and then remove it by selecting it and clicking on the Uninstall button.
Step 2: Remove the adware related add-on/extension from your browsers.
Launch Firefox browser.
Click the Open menu (3-bar icon) and select Add-ons. Then, the Add-ons Manager tab will open.
In the Add-ons Manager tab, look for the extension related to the adware, and then remove it by clicking on the Remove button next to it.
Open the IE browser.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Manage add-ons. That a page will open and shows all toolbars and extensions installed on your browser.
Right click the toolbar or extension related to the adware, and then click on the Disable option.
Start chrome browser.
Click the Chrome menu (3-bar icon) in the top right corner of the browser window, click on More tools and select Extensions.
In the page that opens, look for the extension installed by Groover adware, remove it by clicking on the trashcan icon next to it.
Tips: If fail to remove the extension since it is “Installed by enterprise policy”, then follow this guide.
Step 3: Remove the adware related files and registry entries.
Consider that most users don’t know how to correctly remove the adware related files and registry entries on their own, here we recommend using an advanced malware removal tool to accomplish this step. This can ensure the effectiveness and safety.
Click the Download button below and save the SpyHunter-instaler.exe file to your PC desktop.
Double-click the SpyHunter-instaler.exe file and follow the setup wizard to install the SpyHunter on your PC.
Once the installation is finished, click the Exit button. Then SpyHunter will run automatically.
On its main page, find and click on the Scan Computer Now button. SpyHunter will start scanning for any threats in your system.
When the scan finishes, SpyHunter will show all of threats found. To remove all those threats, please click on the Fix Threats button.
Step 4 (Optional): Run Malwarebytes to scan your computer system for any threats left behind.
Click Malwarebytes Download Link to download Malwarebytes setup file on your PC (Download page will open in a new window)
Once the setup file is downloaded, find and double click on the icon named mbam-setup.exe. This will start the installation of Malwarebytes.
When the setup begins, keep following the prompts to continue with the installation process until it comes to the last step. Tick the box labeled “Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware” and click on the Finish button.
Malwarebytes will be launched and you will see its main page as shown below. Click on the Scan Now button to start scanning your system for any threats.
When Malwarebytes finishes the scanning, it will show all threats detected by it in a list. You can click the Remove Selected button to completely remove all those threats from your PC.
After you finish the steps above, you should have removed the adware that causes Groover ads. But be noted that successful removal of this adware doesn’t mean that your computer won’t get infected by adware or other malware in future. Therefore, it is important that you know how to protect your computer from being attacked by malware.
Here are some tips for you to keep your PC safe from malware:
(1) One of the most vital things you should do to protect your PC should be updating you operating system regularly. Malware always infects your computer by exploiting the system vulnerabilities. If you do not update your operating system, it won’t be able to fight against the latest malware attacks.
(2) Installing a powerful anti-malware program is also an important action to make your PC stay safe. Many excellent anti-malware programs such as SpyHunters can not only effectively remove malware, but also block malicious attacks from the online world. But you should also make sure that you keep your anti-malware program up-to-date, so that it can recognize the recently-created malware threats.
(3) Last but not least, you need to practice good online safety habits. Many security experts point out that most of infections are caused due to the fact that users do not surf online in a proper way. The following are some rules that you should follow when surfing the Internet.
- Do not download free software from trustless sources. If you have to do so, please run a malware scanning before installing the software on your PC.
- Do not install the software recommended in a pop-up window which tells that your computer has been infected by malware. The software you download may be malware itself.
- Do not open email attachments sent by people you do not know. By clicking on the attachments, you may download malware on your PC.
- Do not click on links sent by unknown people via instant messenging applications. You might be redirected to a page and download malware on your machine.
- Do not browse websites that look suspicious; for example, those websites full of many pop-up ads, in-text ads banners and sponsored links. They may contain malicious codes of malware.
Friendly tips: When your computer gets infected by malware, you may not know how to deal with these threats. Actually, you can install a powerful anti-malware program and enable it to protect your PC. Download SpyHunter and get your computer protected right now!
The following video offers a complete guide for Groover adware removal. You’d better watch it in full-screen mode!