Are you annoyed by constant pop-up Word Surfer ads on many web pages you visit? If you don’t want such ads or the content in the pop-ups which are powered by Word Surfer, follow the removal instructions below to get rid of them from the machine completely.
Word Surfer is an adware program that delivers lots of advertisements to computer users. From the home page of that app, you can see the definition of it:
Word Surfer is an ad-supported software utility that makes searching and translating information you find online easy. Take any text you see online, highlight it, and Word Surfer will show the Wikipedia and Bing results in an in-page window. That means you don’t have to open up a new window, go to a search engine, and type in your search. Word Surfer puts relevant information just a highlight away.
Though it claims that it can help users save more time while surfing, it’s still considered as a potentially unwanted program. This ad-supported application can be distributed to your computer stealthily when you download and install other programs. It injects advertisements in web sites that you visit and really interrupt your browsing. The targeted advertisements sent by the adware advertisements are in the form of additional shopping comparison, coupon, in-text transitional, and in-text link advertisements, which are often marked with “WSR”, “Sponsored Ad by WSR”, “Ad(s) by WSR”, “powered by Word Surfer” and so on. (As screenshots below shown)
The adware may display affiliate codes in links as coupon offers in order to redirect you into purchasing products or services from the third parties websites. We suggest you DO NOT click on the ads without thinking because the third party web sites or resources provided by the adware or its partners may link you to unsafe websites that can collect your personal information and cause loss or damage. The app is not responsible for these linked sites. So think twice before you click on those pop-up ads by this adware or purchase products from third party shopping sites provided by it.
Anyway, it’s not a good idea to keep Word Surfer on the PC. Though it is able to show the Wikipedia and Bing results in an in-page window when you hover over any text when surfing the Internet, it doesn’t actually improve your browsing and save time due to those annoying pop-up sponsored ads. Therefore, when you find browsers installed within your PC like Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome or other browser are affected by ads brought this app, please remove Word Surfer from the computer as soon as possible.
How does adware enter your PC and how to prevent it?
Such unwanted adware applications can be spread to computers by different methods. For example, Word Surfer can be bundled with other free programs that you download from the Internet. As soon as you install the desired program, this ad-supported software will be installed at the same time and will display advertisements on your computer. Sometimes you can decline the offer to install such potentially unwanted adware programs during installation process by using the Advanced or Custom installation. However, some free programs will not clearly delineate in the End User License Agreement how or when advertisements will be displayed. Even if they delineate in the license agreement, many computer users rarely have a look at it and consent to install the free programs that have the adware bundled within them. In addition to this, the adware may pretend to be other helpful applications and trick you into downloading and installing it. Once installed, it will display lots of ads on the targeted computer.
To prevent such potentially unwanted adware programs in the future, you can follow the several tips to protect the PC:
- Download and install programs from reliable websites or companies that have good reputation.
- Watch out for pop-ups from unknown websites or attachment files in emails and never click on them before you make sure that they are safe.
- Don’t visit malicious websites and exit immediately if you visit them by accident.
- Always choose the advanced or custom installation, if there is, rather than the quick or recommended installation when installing a program.
- Keep a real-time antivirus/malware program on your PC.
How to uninstall Word Surfer and get rid of ads by WSR?
The steps below show you how to remove the adware from the machine effectively. Follow the instructions you will be able to delete the unwanted adware as well as other potentially unwanted programs/ malware that got installed without your permission and knowledge.
Step1: Go to Programs and Features and uninstall Word Surfer
Click on the Windows button in the bottom-left corner of your screen, click on the Settings in the Start Menu, click on System and click on the Apps & Features menu item on the left pane of the System Settings menu. Find and click on Word Surfer and click Uninstall button. Then click on Uninstall in the pop-up if you are sure you want to remove it from the PC.
Press the key combination Windows key + X key to open the Start Context Menu. Then select Programs and Features. In the Programs and Features window, select the adware program and click Uninstall to remove it.
Click Start icon in the bottom left corner and click on Control Panel, then click on Programs and click on Programs and Features. Select the adware program and click on Uninstall button.
Click on Start button, click on Control Panel and click on Add/Remove Programs. From the list of all installed programs, select the unwanted application and click on Remove button.
Step2. Remove Word Surfer from your browsers
As what is mentioned in the Terms and Services of the adware, uninstalling Word Surfer is not enough. You need to clear the browser cookies and remove the third-party applications like toolbars or add-ons which are added to your browsers to thoroughly get rid of the adware.
1 Clear your IE cookies
Click on your IE menu icon at the top right corner and click Safety and go to Delete browsing history….
In the pop-up, check the items that are associated with the adware and click on Delete button.
2 Disable unwanted IE add-ons
Click on Tools or the gear icon in the upper right corner and select Manage add-ons.
Select Toolbars and Extensions then find the add-on added by the adware and click on Remove button.
3 Reset your IE browser to default settings (Optional)
If the previous steps still fail to remove the adware from your browser, try resetting the browser to default values.
Click on Tools or the IE menu icon in the top right corner and click on Internet Option.
Click on Advanced tab in the Internet Options window, click on Reset button.
Select Delete personal settings and click on Reset button.
1 Clear your Chrome cookies
Click on the Chrome menu icon and click on More tools then select Clear browsing data….
Check all the items and select the time frame and the click on Clear browsing data… button.
2 Remove unwanted add-on from Chrome
Click on Chrome menu button in the upper right corner and click on More Tools and then click on Extensions.
Search for the extensions related to the adware and click on the trash can icon to remove them.
3 Reset Chrome to default settings
Click on the Chrome menu button and click on Settings.
Type reset in the search box to locate Reset settings section quickly. Click on Reset settings button.
In the pop-up, just click on Reset button to restore the browser to original settings.
1 Remove Firefox cookies
Click on the Firefox menu button at the upper right corner and click on Options. Click on Privacy in the left edge of the Firefox Options page. Go to History section, click on Clear your recent history, and then select the time frame and the details of the items you need to delete and click on Clear Now button.
Or you can click on remove individual cookies and select cookies of Word Surfer and click on Remove Selected. But make sure you have selected all the cookies of the adware.
2 Remove adware related add-on from Firefox
Click on Tools or the Firefox menu in the upper right corner and select Add-ons.
Search for the suspicious add-on that was installed recently without your permission and click on Remove button.
3 Reset Firefox to the default settings
Click on Help and click on Troubleshooting Information, or click on the Firefox Menu and click on the question mark icon then click on Troubleshooting Information from the Help menu.
In the Firefox about:support page, click on Refresh Firefox button.
In the pop-up, click on Refresh Firefox button to make sure that you want to reset the browser.
Step3. Run malware removal tools to delete leftovers of the adware
If Word Surfer keeps coming back on your PC after you follow the manual removal guide as mentioned above to deal with the adware, it seems that there are still leftover files of the adware on your PC. To completely find and clear them, we suggest you use powerful anti-malware software to perform a scan of the system and then delete all the threats found. The 3 tools listed below are good at detecting and removing such malware. Install any of them on your PC and run it to scan your system and delete the adware related files and registry entries, the annoying adware will be eliminated once for all.
- Click the icon below to download SpyHunter and save it on your PC.
- Double click on the file and click on Run button when the Open File – Security Warning window pops up.
- Select the language you want and click on OK button.
- When the screen of Enigma Installer with a brief introduction of SpyHunter appears, click on Continue button.
- The Installation in progress screen appears and this will take a while to complete the setup. When all tasks successfully completed, click on Exit button. SpyHunter will launch automatically.
- Click on Scan Computer Now button to scan your PC. This scanning may take a few minutes to complete. If the software is not the latest version, you need to update it before scanning the system.
- When the scan is finished, the threats found will be listed there and you can check them in detail. Click on Fix Threats button to remove all the threats from the machine.
- Register for the full version of SpyHunter to completely clear Word Surfer adware.
- Click the icon below to download Malwarebytes on your PC. (The link will redirect you to the download page of Malwarebytes.)
- Run the file of Malwarebytes and click Open button when the security warning window pops up.
- Choose the language you need and click OK and click on Next to continue the setup.
- Choose I accept the agreement and click on Next button when License Agreement screen appears.
- Click on Next when you see the information of Malwarebytes, then select your desired destination location and click on Next button, then select the start menu folder you want and click on Next button.
- Check the Create a desktop icon option if you’d like to create one. If not, uncheck it. Then click on Next button. Click on Install button and within seconds the installation is completed. Two options below will be showed when the setup is successful.
- Enable free trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium
- Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
You can check both of them and click on Finish button. Malwarebyte will run automatically.
- Click on Scan Now button to start to scan your computer for Word Surfer and related threats. This will take minutes to finish.
- When the scan is finished, the threat scan results will show you all threats detected. Click on Remove Selected button to delete all the threats fully.
Max Spyware Detector
- Click on the icon below to download Max Spyware Detector Downloader Manager on your PC.
- Run Max Spyware Detector Downloader Manager to download Max Spyware Detector.
- Double click on Spyware Detector file and select the language you want and click on OK.
- Click on Next button to continue the setup. Select I accept the agreement and click Next button.
- Click on Next button to establish Max Spyware Detector. This will take a few minutes to complete.
- When the setup is successful, the tool will launch automatically and scan your system. You will be prompted to update the software, just click on Live Update button to get the latest version. Then click on Scan Now button to perform a scan of your system.
- When the scan is finished, the scan threats will be showed and you just click on the Fix Issues Now button to get rid of Word Surfer and relevant cyber threats.
- This also requires you to upgrade to the full version of Max Spyware Detector to delete the threats completely.
Some ad-supported software like Word Surfer may not display in the Programs and Features and keep coming back after you uninstall it. In this case, you need to clear all the files and registry entries of it. It’s not easy for regular computer users to manually delete the program files and registry information of the adware. If you have difficulty in removing it, please use a powerful malware removal tool instead.
The following video offers a complete guide for Word Surfer Adware removal. You’d better watch it in full-screen mode!