My chrome was hijacked by Search.searchdirma.com and this site that I would NEVER open up always loads automatically every time I start the Chrome browser. It’s so annoying and I nearly give up using Chrome. Tried to reset the Internet browser settings but with no luck. The unwanted site still shows up after a browser restart even if I’ve deleted it from homepage. I have reinstalled Chrome and also run NORTON a few times, but the problem still persists. Is there effective way to get rid of this infection? What should I do to deal with it? Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Always redirected to Search.searchdirma.com when you start web browsers? Can’t delete the virus from your computer by resetting the internet browser settings? Follow the guide in this post and you will be able to remove the unwanted site from the PC completely?
What is Search.searchdirma.com?
Search.searchdirma.com is considered as a browser hijacker or potentially unwanted program. It usually comes bundled with other freeware from the web and alters the Internet browser settings of popular web browsers once installed. Like Search.searchdirma.com, Qtipr.com and Search.Queryrouter.com and other browser hijackers, this PUP is mainly designed to force hits to specific sites and display advertising to generate revenue for its developers. This site may come along with a potentially unwanted program called The Software developed by Polarity Technologies LTD, a Cyprus company. Generally, the PUP can be installed on your computer without knowledge when you download and install a new program which has The Software included in its installer without paying much attention to the installation process.
The Software claims to be “a free desktop application that offers you direct links to websites from your new preferred homepage and saves your new preferred home page and/or new tab page”. It supposedly provides GPS functionality and other useful services. However, this application may change your browser settings including the default homepage, new tabs, the default search engine, alternative error page functionality and search-related services, etc. Common web browsers including Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome could be affected with PUP. If your computer has the application installed, the default homepage of your browser may be replaced with another one.
Screenshot of Search.searchdirma.com:
From the screenshot, we can see that the website looks legitimate and innocent. In fact, it’s indeed not a virus. What annoys computer users is that a number of advertisements related what they search for show up in the search results when they do a search using the built-in search box provided by the site. The application is advertising-supported and it aims to attract users to click on the ads, links or other content promoted. Please note that the site is not responsible for the third-party content promoted or displayed by it. Thus, you click on the ads or visit sites displayed by the PUP at your own risk. Some links or ads may redirect you to websites containing lots of ads or other harmful content. To prevent the PC from being infected by other malicious programs, please be very cautious when surfing the web and keep away from unknown or doubtful ads, links or other content provided by the site.
In addition, Search.searchdirma.com may collect personally-identifiable information, such as your name, email or mailing address, or other information you provide when using its services. It may collect and store URLS that you visit, search queries and other search data which may include personally identifiable information and share them with third parties and use search related-cookies. By using your search data, third parties can provides you more customized information, advertising and services. As a result, you will see various advertisements based on your interests when do a search or visit some websites, which is quite annoying if you don’t need them. Moreover, geographic location and the domain name of your Internet service provider (ISP) will also be shared with third parties and this may result in other problems.
Note: To safeguard your computer and your personal data, we suggest you remove Search.searchdirma.com from the PC as soon as possible. The PUP may lead to slow computer performance, poor browsing experience and even identity theft and other serious issues. Try to remove but with no luck? Use a specialized removal tool to get rid of it now.
How does Search.searchdirma.com arrive on your PC?
As mentioned above, the browser hijacker can be bundled with other applications and installed on the machines when users installed the desired software carelessly. The most frequent cause of a browser hijacking issue is malicious free software. Some freeware you download from the Internet may bundle other apps in the installer or support advertising so that their developers can make a profit.
In addition, some pop-ups on some websites may also lead to the browser hijacking. You may see some pop-ups for instance are specifically designed and you are only allowed to click on Cancel or Close button. If you click on them, no matter which button you choose, something unwanted will be downloaded and installed in the background without your knowledge.
Moreover, the browser hijacker can be distributed via “drive-by-downloads”, which are specifically designed to avoid any user interaction. A browser, app, or operating system that is out of date and has a security flaw could be exploited to spread virus or malware. Sometimes you visit or “drive by” a compromised web page without pay much attention and the malicious code can download in the background to your device.
Here’s an example of this type of malware attack:
Search.searchdirma.com browser hijacker removal guide
Some browser hijackers can often be removed easily by uninstalling the relevant programs from PC or resetting the browser settings. But if the browser hijacking issue is caused by a malware infection, you may need to use a specialized tool to deal with it. The steps below show you how to remove the browser hijacker.
Step1: Uninstall suspicious programs from your computer
- Right click on the Start menu in the bottom left corner of the screen. (If you are using Windows 8, press Windows key and then right click on the purple start menu)
- Select Programs and Features from the menu.
- All the currently installed programs will be displayed in the Programs and Features window. Search for the programs or toolbars that may cause the browser hijacking issue, select them and remove them by clicking on Uninstall button.
- Remove the unwanted programs with the given instructions completely.
- Click on Start button and choose Control Panel.
- Click on Uninstall a program under Programs category (View by: Category) or Programs and Features (View by: Large icons). Double click on Add/Remove Programs if you use Windows XP.
- Find the programs or plug-ins that may cause Search.searchdirma.com browser hijacker, select them and uninstall them by clicking on Uninstall or Remove button.
- Follow the instructions to complete the uninstallation.
Note: Some unwanted toolbars/plug-ins/add-ons/extensions which cause the browser hijacking issue may not show up in Programs and Features. You may need to check the browser extensions and disable or remove any suspicious. To see how to remove unwanted add-ons from browsers, visit Guides to Remove Extension/Add-on from Browsers. If other unwanted applications installed without your permission are found, remove them as well.
Step2: Reset the browser homepage and search engine
If the PUP has modified your browser homepage and search engines, follow the guide below to delete the unwanted content and repair the browser settings.
- Click on the Tools or the IE menu button and choose Internet Options.
- Under the General tab, locate to the Home page field and delete Search.searchdirma.com if it is there. Then enter the address of the website that you’d like to set as the default homepage instead. Click OK to save the changes.
- Click on Tools or the IE menu button and select Manage add-ons.
- Click on Search Providers under Add-on Types. If any unwanted search engine is listed there, select it and click Remove button and then click Close. Choose a search engine you want and click Set as default to set it as the default search provider.
- Click on Chrome menu button at the top right corner of the browser window and select Settings.
- Under On startup, select Open a specific page or set of pages and click the Set pages. If Search.searchdirma.com is found, delete it and then enter the URL of your preferred page in the blank field and click on OK to save the changes.
- Under Appearance, check the Open Homepage button and the home icon will appear on the left of the address bar. Click on the Change link. If any unwanted URL is displayed there, please delete it by clicking on the “X” button. Then type the address of the website you’d like in the editable field and click on OK button.
- Under Search, click on the arrow button and select the search engine that you want. It will become you default search engine.
- To delete the unwanted search engine, click on Manage search engines… link. Delete the search engine you want to remove by clicking on the “X” icon. Click on OK button to save the changes.
- Click on Tools or the Firefox menu button at the top right corner of the browser window and select Options.
- Click on General. Under Startup, make sure When Firefox starts: is set to Show my home page. Delete Search.searchdirma.com from the Home Page field if you see it there. Then enter the address of your preferred website to make it the default homepage.
- Click on Search on the left side of the page. Under Default Search Engines, click on the arrow icon and select the one you’d like to set as the default search engine.
- Under One-click search engines, select the unwanted search engine you and click on Remove button to delete it. Close the page and the changes will be saved.
Step3: Check your browser’s shortcut path
If the browser hijacker makes some changes in the properties of your browser shortcut, the browser may also be hijacked. To make sure the browser’s shortcut hasn’t been affected, follow the steps below to open the browser properties and delete harmful texts from the Target line.
- Find the IE/Firefox/Chrome browser shortcut on your desktop. Right click on it and select Properties.
- In the Properties window, select the Shortcut tab and ten have a look at the Target line. By default, the text in Internet Explorer is “C:Program FilesInternet Exploreriexplore.exe”.
Google Chrome is “C:Program FilesGoogleChromeApplicationchrome.exe” (32 bit)
Or “C:Program Files (x86)GoogleChromeApplicationchrome.exe” (64-bit)
Mozilla Firefox is “C:Program FilesMozilla Firefoxfirefox.exe” (32-bit )
Or “C:Program Files (x86)Mozilla Firefoxfirefox.exe” (64-bit).
If you see Search.searchdirma.com or other strange content in the Target line, please delete them and then click on OK button to save the changes.
Restore your browser settings to defaults (optional)
If you have followed the steps above to delete Search.searchdirma.com but it still exists on the PC, you may consider performing a browser restore. When your browser settings are modified by a potentially unwanted program, resetting the browser settings to their original settings usually fix the problem. Please note that this procedure will remove your installed add-ons, toolbars and other customized settings.
Click on Tools or the Tools button and select Internet Options.
Under the Advanced tab, then click on Reset… .
Check the box of Delete personal settings and then click on Reset button.
You must restart the computer for these changes to take effect.
Click on Chrome menu button in the upper right corner of the browser and select Settings.
Scroll down to the end of the page and click on the Show Advanced Settings….
Click on Reset browser settings.
Click on Reset button to restore the Chrome’s settings to the original.
Click on Help on the menu bar and select Troubleshoot Information.
Or click on the Firefox menu button in the upper right corner of the browser and then click on the question button then select Troubleshoot Information.
Click on the Refresh Firefox .
Click on Refresh button to confirm the change.
Step4: Download specialized tools to remove Search.searchdirma.com
Usually, browser hijackers can be removed from the computer easily. You can delete it by resetting the homepage settings or removing related programs. However, if some browser hijackers are caused by a malware infection, you may fail to remove them even if you have uninstalled suspicious programs or modified the browser settings.
If malware modifies the Windows registry or other system settings, you may fail to delete it by simply changing the browser settings. Since it’s complicated and difficult for regular users to make changes in Windows registry, it’s not suggested that you alter the registry yourself if you don’t have much experience in deleting registry entries. Under the circumstances, it’s necessary to use a professional malware removal tool to fix the problem.
SpyHunter is an anti-malware program that is able to find and remove Search.searchdirma.com thoroughly. In addition to browser hijackers, this tool can detect and clear other cyber threats like Trojans, adware, spyware, ransomware and so on. It shows the brief info of the threats found in the scan results and also lists the relevant malicious files. With SpyHunter, you can get rid of the browser hijacker successfully within seconds.
- Download SpyHunter to your computer.
- SpyHunter starts to scan your system for malware. To scan for viruses effectively, you may need to update the tool to the latest version before scanning. To start a new scan, click on Scan Computer Now button. The scanning may take a few minutes to finish.
- Once done, all the threats on your PC will be showed in the scan results. You can see Search.searchdirma.com and other threats which are visible to you but indeed exist on the system.Click on the expand button next to the infection and more details about it will be displayed. To clear them, click on the Fix Threats button.
- SpyHunter is a free virus scanner. You need to purchase its full version to completely wipe out Search.searchdirma.com and other infections.
Plumbytes is a tool that detects and annoying browser toolbars or extensions, spyware, hijackers like Search.searchdirma.com, ad injects and other types of malware. This tool is good at restoring your hijacked browser, search engine, and home page, and constantly monitoring your computer’s security. If your browser is hijacked, follow the steps below to fix it by using Plumbytes.
- Click here to download Plumbytes.
- Run the downloaded file to start the installation. Follow the instructions on the screen complete the installation. The installation process usually takes merely a few seconds.
- Once installed, Plumbytes starts to scan your system for malware automatically. The scanning may last for several minutes.
- When the scan is completed, all the threats on your PC are displayed in the scan results. You can see Search.searchdirma.com and other threats are showed there. To clear the infections and protect your PC, click on the REMOVE SELECTED button.
- This is also a free malware detection utility. You need to purchase its full version to completely clear all the infections.
Search.searchdirma.com is browser hijacker or a potentially unwanted program that can alter the browser settings like the homepage, new tab or the search engine. Though it is not malicious, you still need to remove it from PC immediately. The PUP not lonely tampers with your browser settings and forces you to visit specific sites, but also collects your information for commercial purposes. If you keep it on the browser and use it frequently, your browsing experience will be affected and the computer performance may become slow. It’s unhappy to see lots of annoying sponsored advertisements when you do a search on the web. Worse, privacy issues like identity theft might also show up if your personal data is misused by cyber criminals. If you don’t take it seriously, it might snowball into a much more serious problem.
Some browser hijackers can be deleted with ease by uninstalling malicious freeware or repairing browser settings. But some won’t be removed unless you have a virus scan. If your browser is hijacked by Search.searchdirma.com, please first manually reset the browser settings and uninstall harmful software. If it doesn’t work, we strongly suggest you download and install a Search.searchdirma.com removal tool to safely and fully remove the malware.
The following video offers a complete guide for Search.searchdirma.com browser hijacker removal. You’d better watch it in full-screen mode!